If you could switch from Windows to Mac, would you?

Would you switch?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Already have

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighthawk

How many of you are tired of using Windows and are looking for something better? If you had the money, would you switch from a Windows PC to a Macintosh?

Windows, for better or for worse, is at the top of the business world. So long as it is there (and I don't expect that to change within the forseeable future), I won't leave it. The one word reason: money.

Windows is where the money is. Whether it is coding (as it is for me) or support (for many others), it requires actively working on and using Windows. Sure, you can use another OS to "relax," but it's kind of a pain to have to synchronize your files and settings across multiple operating systems.

So, yes, Windows is a pain. It's buggy and it's slow. But it's number 1.

(and if I were to leave it... I'd be using Linux, not OS X :smile:
I wouldn't make the same mistake and leave Windows for another closed and limiting platform, esp. one with as few development and selection of programs available)

i said maybe

i know i cant ever "leave" windows, not also long as all the games are only (mostly) playable on PC hardware :tongueout:

but i wouldnt just want "one" OS, i'd take a computer in each; linux, windows and mac (windows on my gaming rig, linux on a laptop, and mac, well you can only get those in laptop and monitor, so id go with the monitor :tongueout: lol )

^ now i never said that :tongueout: lol

if i had what i wanted, idk, i wish lol i would mostly dual-boot on the linux laptop, with XP or something small, and leave vista for my rig and as of now, i dont think i would mess around with OSX much at all, just use it for gfx and such

sorry to scare you Sir Guru

lol, i'm just kidding.

When my new PC arrives, I think I'll take a break from dual-booting and just put Linux on this rig instead.

The new machine will have Windows, this one here will be used for Fedora maybe in a dual-boot with SkyOS.

My next system will be a mac.

My next purchase will be a mac.:happy: I spent over 9 years doing tech support. I left that field (sort of) in 2003. I used to run windows even though I liked macs, because that was what 98% of the software I supported ran on.

Now that compatibility is no longer an issue, I am switching to a mac.
Of course, I'll still be able to dual boot into windows and I'm keeping my windows machine. I wouldn't inflict it on any of my friends or relatives. :smile:

Now that macs use intel chips even if I still supported windows software I'd get a mac. As long as dual booting would get the job done that would be fine.

My next purchase will be a mac.:happy: I spent over 9 years doing tech support. I left that field (sort of) in 2003. I used to run windows even though I liked macs, because that was what 98% of the software I supported ran on.

Now that compatibility is no longer an issue, I am switching to a mac.
Of course, I'll still be able to dual boot into windows and I'm keeping my windows machine. I wouldn't inflict it on any of my friends or relatives. :smile:

Now that macs use intel chips even if I still supported windows software I'd get a mac. As long as dual booting would get the job done that would be fine.
I'm interested in why compatibility is no longer an issue for you, if you could expand on that a bit?

(Like Kahai said, welcome to NST :smile:)

Hi, Kahai. Hi, Computer Guru.

Back in 2004, I switched from tech support to an internet marketing job. I no
longer "support" software. I do however support many other features, but those are
all through IE.

Plus as I was saying the intel chips make the whole compatibility issue moot. As
much as it will pain me to waste the disk space. I'll go ahead and install Windows and
Office, so that when I do need to dual boot to run a program or read a file, everything
will already be setup. I'll do that right after I get my mac setup. I'll also need to
make sure my internet connection is working on the windows side of the boot.
I'm very excited about having a new mac and am looking forward to, with few exceptions, never using Windows at home again.

Thanks for clearing that up, ycarroll :smile:

Good luck with that, I sincerely hope it works out for you.

I would. But that isnt saying i wouldnt dual boot with Windows. I would use a Mac if i had the money. But i would still have my Windows box. :tongueout:

No I would not switch to Mac even if I would have the money, simply because I don't have a reason to.

After getting new PC with a lot of RAM and Dual Core, my wish is to have newest Ubuntu as main OS, and on a virtual machine have installed 2 XP's. Why 2? Because One will be for gaming and that virtual machine would have 3 GB of RAM out of 4 GB allowed and another XP (or Vista) Would be used for windows applications I can't live without (3ds max for example). Although Ubuntu can run games for windows with some effort, I wouldn't do it, simply because its easier to set up XP on one side of the cube.

I have to say that SkyOS has very original explorer, its different from everything I saw before. I have to pay respect to SkyOS for that. :smile:

I know Mac is pretty useful with big data bases and its secured, many official gov people are using it, some recording studious, maybe move makers? But I really don't have a reason to use it. Unless someone can tell me that Mac can do something nobody else can't.

Last edited:
^ ATM you can't game in a virtual machine... there is no 3D acceleration support :frowning:

Oh, there should be, soon. But if not, dual booting is something I would turn to.

That's true.

Other option is to run XP Gaming as host, then have Ubuntu and the second XP as guests, but that's probably not what you'd want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back