In-Browser Windows 1.0 and Windows 95 Simulators

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I came across these two links, they're pretty cool. They run old versions of Windows in your browser via a javascript-based virtual machine.

I haven't been able to get the Windows 95 one to run, but the Windows 1.0 seems to be the real deal. I don't think they re-implemented a copy of Windows, I think that's the actual Windows 1.0 binary running in the browser.

http://www.pcjs.org/devices/pc/machine/5160/cga/256kb/win101/
http://win95.ajf.me/win95.html

Can anyone get the second one to run?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Scratch that. It only took forever, but it loaded!

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 11.02.17 AM.png

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Staff member
Fascinating......those were slightly before my time, home PC-wise. My first was XP.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
The upgrade from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 was my first real adventure with OS installs. 31 disks, and lo and behold, on the 30th of them: a read error!
I had found the disks in my dad's desk, and I think he had bought them a few months prior - didn't know what to do with my freshly-formatted brick that errored out at disk 30 of 31 - especially because I didn't have permission to be doing anything of the sort, sprawled out as I was on my stomach on the basement floor, hunched over the computer and excited to be upgrading to this new system with a menu and that (retrospectively very nasty) greenish-blue background. Not knowing any better, I just sat there taking the floppy out, shaking it, putting it back in, waiting 5 - 10 minutes for the copy to fail, then doing it all over again. Somehow, I got lucky and it was able to finally read the bad file/sector and was relieved to be booting into Windows 95 an hour later.

I'll never forget.

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Staff member
LOL, I never even encountered as much as a pocket calculator until my 1st year at Uni. Mainly because I got fed up with using their noisy and clunky Monro-Matic mechanical calculators that occupied a good portion of each student's desk.
I recall around the same time I acquired my very first portable AM/FM/SW transistor radio complete with (mono) headphones. How times change.