In need of some desperate help triple-booting XP, 7, and Ubuntu.

First of all, hello everyone. I have Googled for about six hours trying to get this working on my own... all to no avail. So, I'll try to get help.

I have:

Windows XP installed on dev/sda1;

Windows 7 installed on dev/sda2;

Ubuntu 10.4 (ext3 filesystem) installed on dev/sda3

...and last but not least...

A swap-file on dev/sda5.

I followed this guide perfectly (other than using Windows 7 and creating a swap, which I don't think would cause my problem):
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

I installed XP, then 7, and lastly Ubuntu.

Just to be clear, I installed grub into the bootsector of the Ubuntu partition (hd0,3).

After going into EasyBCD 1.7.2 and adding Linux to the boot menu, and restarting...

error: unknown filesystem.
grub rescue>

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

After going into EasyBCD 1.7.2 and adding Linux to the boot menu, and restarting...

grub rescue>

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
Was this a "Grub4Dos" error or a "Grub" or "Grub2" error?
(It should have said one of those before the error)

Code:
Starting cmain()...(hd0,2)
[Multiboot-kludge, loadaddr=0x100000, text-and-data=0x60ac, bss=0x0, entry=0x10027c]

grub rescue>
That's the whole error message.

Hi Arnzillazor,
I have nearly the same OSs on my PC.
(I have much tested and so it is possible, the written way is not exactly right, I remember only this way)
First installed Win7 (is my MASTER-OS), then EBCD 2.0 (build xxx) and controled the function of EBCD Boot Menu.
Then installed WinXP, started after all updates the Win7 OS and there restored the Win7-MBR + addet a new entry for WinXP + function control of WinXP and Win7.
Then I have installed Ubuntu and after all Linux-Updates and adjusting the Linux Shell come the next step.
My next step with Linuxboot menu was booting to Win7, restore the Win7-MBR and adding the NeoSmart Linux Grub 2 in EBCD, with a marker setting in "Grub isn't installed to MBR/bootsector".
The EBCD creat a Folder like C:\NST and in this Folder is the AutoNeoGrub"X".mbr.
(The "X" is for 0, or for 1, or for 2, or for 3....)
Well, to see here:

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {53c47a73-2e32-11df-a536-f1da61ff9182}
device partition=C:
path \NST\AutoNeoGrub2.mbr
description NeoSmart Linux Grub 2

The original Linux(Mint now) boot menu is presend, if I choose "boot Linux" and I can jump to Linux, or Win7, or what I will).
The main boot menu is all time my EBCD-Boot-Menu with Win7, WinXP, Emergency HDD booting, or Linux.
Hope, this Infos are helping for you.

Greetings from Germany,
STRUPPI

Last edited:
Back