Installing Windows Vista

I have a couple of questions. I have a Hp Pavilion dv9740us

First im wondering, i can't get a copy of the recovery disks from HP so if i install Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit [thats the version i already have on here] will that be like setting it back to factory settings? Like will everything that was originally with the computer still be here like the YouCam etc?

My volume does not work. But if i plug in some speakers then the sound works...maybe is the soundcard bad? when i install vista again may that work to fix it??

And i have Vista black edition 32 bit if i wanted to install this version would this also work??

But basically all i really want to do is bring my laptop back to factory settings, since so many things have gone wrong. If anyone can please help me?? thanks

If you use anything but a set of recovery disks made up from the hidden recovery partition forget about seeing the factory preinstall returned. You will be wiping that out in favor of a fresh install with the Vista Black edition disk you bought separately.

Plus you need to then download all drivers needed along with going out to buy programs you want to run. None of the original prepackaged drivers/softwares would be installed.

okay well if i just install vista home premium the one thats already on my laptop will it make everything work even if i gotta download drivers??

I was just about to reply here with the HP support information seen at http://h10061.www1.hp.com/ccsearch/search?pname=HP+Pavilion+dv9740us+Entertainment+Notebook+PC&pid=3647207&productBigSeriesOid=1842186&spid=3647208&opname=HP+Pavilion+dv9740us+Entertainment+Notebook+PC&contextual_lname=&pname_desc=HP+Pavilion+dv9740us+Entertainment+Notebook+PC&ptype=consumer&stype=pn&spname=HP+Pavilion+dv9740us+Entertainment+Notebook+PC&temp_hql=s-001%2Cs-002%2Cs-004%2Cs-003%2Cs-005%2Cs-006%2Cs-017%2Cz-001&ctry=us&lc=en&dlc=en&mode=lz&tmv=-1&method=prodFinder&qry=recovery+options&Submit.x=3&Submit.y=6 until seeing your other thread on the lost Recovery Manager.

There's one link there for removing that entirely when going to use a brand new disk. But if the laptop is still under warranty you will be likely voiding that out since the preinstall is tied to that one laptop by the serial number as well as customer information.

With a clean install with the Black edition disk you would have to download the updates available and see if that is the only problem. But the volume control problem may be a problem with the software for sound where simply going for an update may get that corrected for you without any need to see a fresh copy of Windows go.

A lot of people seem to run into problems with Realtek drivers/softwares for some reason. The latest updates for Vista are seen at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3647208

Well i did take it to Geek Squad and the guy said to use recovery manager to set my computer back to factory settings...but i cant because i dont have recover manager and hp wont send them. But i downloaded the updated realtek audio driver and then no sound was working at all. Because the built in speakers dont work, but when i plug in some speakers those work. And after installing the updated driver it didnt work, so i had to put the older version back.

Since there is no such thing as an MS-provided "Vista Black Edition', would advise you to make sure it really is Vista before you install it. I've seen LOTS of custom versions of XP and Vista on other forums, and the instance I saw of this version was of Windows XP with some Vista-like GUI hacks. So, it LOOKED like Vista but it was really XP.

Also, if you install a non-OEM version of Vista on the HP, don't be surprised if it doesn't activate. Yeah it might work OK, but it might not. Only saying that because I had an HP crash on me, installed a retail version of XP to do some testing, and it would not activate. Until I purchased the HP recovery CDs and installed from them, I couldn't get XP to activation. Vista just might behave the same way.

Sorry, I didn't see the other thread, so I presume you already checked with HP and they won't sell you a set of recovery disks, right?

I was a little hesitant about that as well but held back on marking any remarks. But even with a non HP disk bought oem or retail you would still need to download everything needed from the their support site. As far as the onboard sound the volume control itself could be bad there explaining why there's no sound until using external speakers with a volume control seen on them.

I have no idea why you'd want to buy windows. You can load the latest, very user friendly version of Linux (Ubuntu) on your computer completely for free. It's a breeze to install, comes loaded with all the main software you'd need and with Wine, you can run any Windows program.

But where it really comes into it's own is getting new software. No searching for downloads. Just hit the equivilent of the Start menu, go to 'Add Software' and Ubunto automatically goes online, finds what's available and gives you a list (including descriptions) of software that you can install, just by clicking the checkmark.

I'm honestly baffled how Windows stays in business.

Check out a review, screenshots and free download links here:
Opolis Directory - Ubuntu

Why MS stays in business is due to not just seeing the OS side but also providing softwares and even a hardware division for things like keyboards and mice. For any first time pc user which OS are you going to recommend? Learn how to use and configure Grub, Lilo, or wubi compared to an OS that loads up automatically once installed.

Another item to point with Windows over Linux for a total beginner is called the system restore feature if you end up seeing a bad install of something as well as having a safe mode to boot into as well. While newer versions of the various distros are now seeing many more options it still tends to see the "Geek's OS' label intended for experienced users.

TheBeam:

As a "convert" to Ubuntu, and a daily user of Intrepid Ibex, (plus, now testing Jaunty Jackalope) I can strongly advocate the use of Gnu/Linux as an alternative to Windows -- but that doesn't help out CuddysLady, now does it. And, please, don't tell folks they can get nearly everything they need in windows using WINE -- that is anything but the truth.

As to why people buy Windows, well basically, most of them do NOT. What they DO, is buy a personal computer, most of which come with a version of Windows preinstalled. And, the great majority of those people couldn't care less about the OS, they just want to do "stuff" on their PC -- and they really do not want to learn about OS's in the process.

And, to close this out, while I will agree that Gnu/Linux has come a long way since the "Dapper" days in terms of ease of installation, setup, and availability of apps, until folks walking into Best Buy or other such PC vendors see rows of PCs running a Linux-based OS alongside the rows of PCs running Windows, I'm expecting the usage of alternatives to Windows to remain low.

Last edited:
Why MS stays in business is due to not just seeing the OS side but also providing softwares and even a hardware division for things like keyboards and mice. For any first time pc user which OS are you going to recommend? Learn how to use and configure Grub, Lilo, or wubi compared to an OS that loads up automatically once installed.

Another item to point with Windows over Linux for a total beginner is called the system restore feature if you end up seeing a bad install of something as well as having a safe mode to boot into as well. While newer versions of the various distros are now seeing many more options it still tends to see the "Geek's OS' label intended for experienced users.

While i agree totally with your's and Mark's opinions concerning the fact it would probably be better for this new user to use Windows, instead of Linux...i just wanted to point out that its possible to install Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) without messing with partitions, or with Grub, via Wubi (which installs and runs Ubuntu 8.10 within the Windows partition itself, using what is called a "root.disk" in place of an actual partitition). :wink: When you install it, it automatically adds another boot entry for Ubuntu 8.10, in your Vista bootloader. And of course there's always the added advantage of having a specific forum dedicated to Wubi on the Ubuntu forums itself, in case you need any assistance with an issue...:tongueout:

In case you want to check out Wubi, here is their site: Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows
And here is the Wubi forum: Wubi - Ubuntu Forums

Cheers! :brows:

-Coolname007

Yep. As I've noted on several occasions, NeoSmart Technologies contributed portions of the EasyBCD codebase to the Wubi project for Windows Vista support :smile:

Back