Intel D865GBF M/B - USB Device in boot devices possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex_Brit

Staff member
Bitlocker in Vista, for some unknown reason, can't encrypt because it can't read the key from my USB flash drive. I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that this is because although USB is enabled in BIOS I can see no way of setting it as one of the boot devices.

C.G. I believe you have the same M/B - is it possible? Plus is that the reason for that error when I reboot? Or perhaps it literally can't read that drive for some reason in which case I need another flash drive.

I can boot from a USB just fine.

First enable booting from removeable devices, then in the boot priority section set your USB drive as the top priority removable drive.

That's the problem. USB boot is enabled in BIOS but under removable devices all it sees is my Floppy Drive even though I have the flash drive plugged in not to mention my USB external hard drive.

I can only assume that it's because either the Ativa Flash Drive isn't fully Vista comppatible and neither is the Maxtor HDD (software-wise)???

If it has any bearing Vista also doesn't accept it as a readyboost either. It's an ATIVA U3 2gb.

It sounds to be more like the BIOS isn't compatible with your flash drive than it is a Vista-specific problem :frowning:

Computer Guru said:
I can boot from a USB just fine.

First enable booting from removeable devices, then in the boot priority section set your USB drive as the top priority removable drive.
CG, sorry to revive this old one, but how did you do that with this M/B? I have USB boot enabled in the BIOS. The only other setting I can see that may be connected with this is UPNP which is set to disabled.

I'm asking this in advance of getting my new Sandisk 8gb Cruzer Contour U3 flash drive which, thankfully, is totally Vista ready.

The old 1gb drive which I've since given away was only recognised by Vista as "USB Storage Device".

The pic attached is from the D865GBF manual which is the page I was wondering about.

Plug & Play O/S • No (default)
• Yes
Specifies if manual configuration is desired.
No lets the BIOS configure all devices in the system. This
setting is appropriate when using a Plug and Play operating
system.
Yes lets the operating system configure Plug & Play (PnP)
devices not required for boot if your system has a Plug & Play
operating system. This option is available for use during lab
testing.
Numlock • Off
• On (default)
Specifies the power-on state of the Numlock feature on the
numeric keypad of the keyboard.

I guess it's a case of the right flash drive that allows the system to see it during boot-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back