Interesting "can't get to BIOS" solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

mact

W7 and XP on two different drives. Using Logitech "unified" mouse and keyboard on a Core2Duo E6600 box.

I simply could not get into bios.

Finally dragged out an older Lenova hard wired keyboard, and it worked.

I imagine the window for the DEL key (in this case, an AMI bios/ASUS board) was small enough that the wireless lashup couldn't respond quickly enough.

ramification: if such complaints are heard, find out if wireless KBD/MS are involved and suggest dragging out the old stuff for the moment.

I've also moved the receiver unit from back of the computer to an extension sitting on top of the computer. possibly unshielding it from the glass desktop I'm using. It seems to have resolved other issues as well...mouse going dead, etc.

FWIW. $0.02.

Hi mact, welcome to NST.

We've seen this issue before, almost always with bluetooth keyboards - is that what yours is?
Generally, this is an issue with the BIOS and newer motherboards (or newer BIOS upgrades for your old board) take care of this issue.

You need a wired keyboard/mouse for access to the BIOS and even Safe Mode with most Bluetooth, that I've ever used at least.

not Bluetooth (wish it was!! Then I could use it with my (original) Galaxy tab.<G>). I don't think Logi even makes BT products. Their own little thing.

Anyway, it was a discovery related top BCD and I thought I'd share it. As a newbie I wasn't aware that this was a known.

Have had no problem on my Big machine which also has Logi "unified" wireless k&m, but no BCD on that. As yet.

I think it goes for wireless peripherals generally. BIOS entry (and even booting to Safe Mode) is too early in the boot cycle for them to work. I only once ever discovered that my wireless mouse and keyboard were working in Safe Mode - it happened once only and I never could reproduce it, so it was obviously a lucky fluke, so now I keep my wired ones plugged in but tucked away so I can always drag them out when needed.
Reminds me of the fluke of discovering that I could get high resolution on my monitor in Safe Mode - again that happened only once years ago (in XP), then it was back to the VGA level.

I guess I'm lucky, but I have no issue with my wireless mice.

I first used MS Optical Mouse Blue maybe 6 years ago, Logitech MX Revolution when it came out for maybe 2 years, and the Logitech Performance MX since then (I'm on my second one now, they kindly RMA'd it 2.5 years in when the middle clicks started sporadically not registering).

To access your BIOS on a Windows 10 PC, you must follow these steps.
Navigate to settings.
Select Update & security.
Select Recovery from the left menu.
Click Restart Now under Advanced startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
Click Restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back