iReboot - cannot turn off "Reboot on Selection"

glnz

"Reboot on Selection" is always checked as the default setting. How do I get it to be UNchecked as the default? (I can uncheck it manually, but I want it to START unchecked.)
My PC is Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit with lots of security. My security now includes CryptoPrevent running at the highest level. What iReboot exe file needs to be whitelisted for the UNcheck default change to stick? (I have already whitelisted iReboot.exe itself.)
Or what registry key needs to be changed?

EDIT: Have the same problem even with CryptoPrevent turned off with a number of reboots. CryptoPrevent is not the issue. iReboot will not change its default from "Reboot on Selection" checked to "Reboot on Selection" UNchecked.

Thanks.

Last edited:
That's a setting in the settings file, I believe. Have a look at the NeoSmart_Technologies folder in appdata.

I can get more details when I'm at a PC w/ the source code if you can't find it.

That's a setting in the settings file, I believe. Have a look at the NeoSmart_Technologies folder in appdata.

I can get more details when I'm at a PC w/ the source code if you can't find it.

Mahmoud - thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the only file (user.config) in your suggested folder has nothing that suggests this setting.

When you have a chance to check, please let me know.

FYI, my PC is dual-booting Win 7 and Win 8.1 (both Pro 64-bit). The "Reboot on Selection" in Win 7 is UNchecked as I prefer. It's checked in 8.1.

Thanks,

The last line of mqudsi's post #126 explains the config parameter for setting "reboot on selection"
I haven't used ireboot for several years, so I can't recall the details.
As I remember, it's not blindingly intuitive what the parameters are for or exactly how they work, but if you play with that one, you should eventually achieve what you desire.

Mahmoud - thanks for your reply, and I'm sure 2.0 is working well for other people. But it is worse for me. In Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit, and selecting the Win 8 option, I got the strangest error message I have ever seen. Twice. This is worse than before.
I think the problem is that iReboot is not working well with CryptoPrevent, an app that imposes certain User Settings to prevent ransomware from starting. It's the only anti-ransomware app anywhere, so it's now important that developers work with it.
Please check out CryptoPrevent - as a developer you'll understand it easily and quickly. It's actually not that complicated, and it's mostly a passive defense.
You might want to post what whitelist settings to add to CryptoPrevent to get your iReboot to work well.

Mahmoud - I am uploading two files here - the screenshot and the "Details".
Trying to use in Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit with CryptoPrevent on maximum security. This happens when I try to change the checkmark in iReboot from Win 8 to Win 7.
My guess is that you should investigate CryptoPrevent and advise specifically what needs to be "whitelisted" in CryptoPrevent for iReboot to work 100%.
Thanks.

Attachments

• iReboot error2.rtf
    7.1 KB · Views: 5
  • iReboot error1.jpg
    iReboot error1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 5
Interesting - however it seems CryptoPrevent is super-invasive/intrusive, judging by their site. This is the first time I hear of it/them.

From their site:

My legitimate software isn’t working properly after applying the protection. What do I do?
Be CERTAIN you have the latest version of the app, which is getting better all the time at not blocking legitimate applications. If you had an outdated version, after update then re-apply the protection and restart, then re-test your app. If it still isn’t working, ensure you’ve done the whitelisting first, and reboot if new entries are added to the whitelist. If it still isn’t working, then you may need to temporarily undo protection when using/installing that app. If this is the case, I would appreciate you telling me what app isn’t working for you and if you can, the details on the app’s filename and where it is running from, maybe I can help alleviate the issue with a new version.

Maybe you could give that a try? It seems the author is aware that his software can cause issues.

Mahmoud - I'm a newb user when it comes to most of the issues here. However, if EVEN I have heard of CryptoPrevent and am using it, then it must be fairly well-known.

Please take a closer look - its anti-ransomware technology might impact your business - not only iReboot but also your EasyBCD. I understand that particular apps can be "whitelisted" in CryptoPrevent - the question is how to do this in your case. Merely listing the iReboot.exe in their whitelist does not do it.

I will look into this - maybe there's something I can do. But I cannot devote too much time to this as honestly I cannot vouch for the quality of CryptoPrevent's software nor have we had anyone else using their products complain to us. Like I said before, I personally never came across it prior to this.

Last edited:
On the install, I get
BCD Enumeration Error!
An error occurred while attempting to enumerate the BCD:
Failed to create an IPC Port: Access is denied.

And this occurs even if I first turn off CryptoPrevent and reboot before installing.

However, iReboot 2.0.0.38 seems to be installed. When I select Windows 8, it does not generate the detailed error message above. And then the machine restarts into Win 8.1 (although the prior restart default was Win 7).

BUT ... leaving the iReboot selection on Win 7, on the restart I get the Windows dual-boot selection screen (white letters on black background), and the machine waits 10 seconds before rebooting into Win 7 as the default. I thought iReboot skipped this step.

EDIT - No good. Just got the detailed error message again when I selected Win 8.

Last edited:
Hi glenz,

Do you mind giving this one (build 41) a spin? I've had some good feedback from Peter (exbrit) - DV it'll take care of your problem.
Thanks for bearing with me here!

Mahmoud - So far, so good. First turned off CryptoPrevent [set it to "None"] and rebooted. Then uninstalled the existing iReboot and rebooted. Then installed your new build 41 and rebooted. Then tested iReboot a whole bunch of times and it worked well. Then turned on CryptPrevent to its Max/Beta setting and rebooted. Then tested iReboot a whole bunch of times. No error messages and the PC reboots as I direct iReboot.
One minor issue: After turning CryptoPrevent back on and checking "Reboot on Selection" once in iReboot, it is always checked automatically in the next reboot to 8.1 even if I then uncheck it in 8.1 and reboot some other way. It will be checked again after the next reboot into 8.1. So there's still something in CryptoPrevent that doesn't like something in iReboot in 8.1.
Also: Would you explain here what you have done to make iReboot work better with CryptoPrevent? Maybe you or I should show the maker of CryptoPrevent (Foolish IT). (You would be better, as I don't understand much of this.)
Thanks!
EDIT - FORGOT TO MENTION: In the last few days, I installed 2005 Visual C++ Redistributable in the Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit. For a different app, not yours. But do you think that has something to do with the good results today with build 41? It wasn't there before (but I did have 2010 C++ Redistributable before).
SECOND EDIT: Reminder that CryptoPrevent blocks changes in bcdedit. I don't know whether it interferes with your EasyBCD. You might want to test that.

Last edited:
OK, let me look into this one now. I imagine it'll be easier.
I didn't really "adapt" to CryptoPrevent, more like worked around it by not blindly trusting that something it requested ended up actually happening in case something interfered with the process and acting accordingly.

Can you please give this one a try?

Thanks.

Attachments

• iReboot Setup - build 42.exe
    295.4 KB · Views: 31
Back