IReboot in Win 7

GBRorer

Running dual boot system w/Win 7 as primary OS and XP Professional. IReboot 2.0 installed in both systems and works fine in XP. In 7, right click brings up a menu with 2 items: IReboot 2.0 and Unpin this program from Taskbar. Left clicking on IReboot 2.0 gives no results and no reboot system menu. Right clicking gives 4 options: Open, Run as Administrator, unpin from taskbar, properties. Have tried turning off windows firewall which didn't work. Also tried Winkey+R and typing services.msc. The program is running. Still no reboot menu.

Any thoughts on what to do next?

If not already installed, install EasyBCD 2.3 in 7 and set it up for the dual boot. iReboot will reflect what it has in it after a reboot.

Thank you, I have tried that but to no avail. Dual boot works fine when shutting down the current OS and booting into the other, and that is pretty fast. IReboot works fine as well, going from XP to Win 7. But I Reboot from Win 7 to XP does not bring up the OS menu. I have Easy BCD in both OS systems, and it sees both OS systems. For some reason IReboot 2 only sees 1 system when in Win 7 but both systems when in XP. I have changed the default from Win 7 to XP, and everything seems to work fine, but IReboot still does not see the XP OS when I am in Win 7.

Thank you Ex_Brit. That solved the problem. Had reinstalled Easy BCD but not IReboot. Problem may have occured since was installing a legacy OS on a Win 7 machine.

-GBRorer

That's really odd, iReboot should work always - regardless of EasyBCD's presence or lack thereof. Next time the output of bcdedit would be helpful to pin down the matter.

Glad it is working, though!

Turns out installing a copy of EasyBCD in the second OS was not necessary. The BCDedit from both installations was identical. Reinstalling IReboot was the cure. For some reason the original iReboot installation in Windows 7 did not recognize the Windows XP installation from Windows 7 (original OS on the machine) even though the dual boot screen was functional. Where do I send my contribution?

Yes you only need to install EasyBCD on one OS (anything but XP) and you can then put a shortcut on each desktop to the installed version across partitions, easy to open the software anywhere that way.

Back