Is BCD install okay?

chirp

I have set up a dual install with XP on a separate drive from Vista. I loade EasyBCD and the system boots to the option point where I have to choose Vista or XP. If I choose Vista all is okay. If I choose XP the system cycles back around thru the boot process and I end up back at the option of Vista / XP. If I put the XP disc in the disc drive the system will boot into XP off of the hdd and the OS works great.

I know this isn't how it should be and it is mildly awkward having to take the OS disc in and out of the drive whenever I switch from Vista to XP. It seems that all drives are recognised by both operating systems and the bios however, when attempting the Vista "repair" operation of the dual boot install procedure NO drive letter appears in the choice box.

Does anyone know if I need to tweak the EasyBCD program in some fashion? Can anyone confirm that I have not corrected my Vista boot registry and tell me how to do that if I can't get the repair option to recognise my "C" drive?

Although I am not a pro at this, I would appreciate specifics. I will talk to those who have helped me to this point in order to translate what I am unable to comprehend.

Thanks, chirp

One step closer

Makaveli,
Thanks for the help!
The downloads you referred me to have gotten me one step closer. I first loaded the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files and on reboot i got a black screen but, that was at least not a trip back to a reboot. Then I loaded a boot.ini file and that took me to a point where the result is the missing Hal.dll files. Seeing the corresponding info in the link you suggested I have been attempting to change the ARC paths in the boot.ini. It seems that no matter what configuration of rdisk(x)partition(y) i use, I get the same response as follows:

CANNOT CREATE THE C:\BOOT.INI FILE.
MAKE SURE THE PATH AND FILE NAME ARE CORRECT.
It brings up a path window in the C:\ drive with boot.ini in the save box. I click save again and get:
BOOT.INI ALREADY EXISTS. DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE IT?
I click yes and it takes me back to:

This goes on with every change to (x) and (y).

Where am I going wrong????
It is trying to save the boot.ini as a text file...is that correct?

Thanks for the help, Chirp

Yes the boot.ini is just a text file. To solve tha hal.dll you can also put in the XP CD and copy the file over from teh Recovery Console as well.

Makaveli,
Thanks for the help!
The downloads you referred me to have gotten me one step closer. I first loaded the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files and on reboot i got a black screen but, that was at least not a trip back to a reboot. Then I loaded a boot.ini file and that took me to a point where the result is the missing Hal.dll files. Seeing the corresponding info in the link you suggested I have been attempting to change the ARC paths in the boot.ini. It seems that no matter what configuration of rdisk(x)partition(y) i use, I get the same response as follows:

It brings up a path window in the C:\ drive with boot.ini in the save box. I click save again and get:
BOOT.INI ALREADY EXISTS. DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE IT?
I click yes and it takes me back to:

This goes on with every change to (x) and (y).

Where am I going wrong????
It is trying to save the boot.ini as a text file...is that correct?

Thanks for the help, Chirp
Sounds like UAC is getting in the way. Be sure to run notepad or whatever as an administrator.

Makaveli (and Guru),
I just wanted to thank you. Your help has gotten me thru my problems and afforded me the solution! It seems that with loading the .ini, loader and detect files onto the Vista C:\, I assumed that changing the ARC path needed to be done on that drive too. It would not allow me to.
After some thinking and rethinking, we found ourselves changing the path on the XP drive. All is well in dual boot land....you are great! I just wanted to say thanks.
Chirp

Back