Is there anyway to connect the Metro boot menu to the Legacy one?

For reasons having to do with switching between storage controller drivers and/or modes in the BIOS I need to have the Legacy Windows boot loader as my main boot loader. However, I would like to have access to the Metro Boot loader and its advanced options FROM the Legacy loader. Is there any way to create an entry on the Legacy loader (or some hidden hotkey) that will chain to the Metro boot loader?

The boot loaders are "winload.exe" and are called from the boot manager "bootmgr".
Whichever boot menu display you use, it's the same bootmgr module producing it.
How it decides (or when or why) to use one or the other is not something I've ever fathomed, though the author of EasyBCD most certainly has, since he's provided the option to switch from one to the other in EasyBCD > "edit boot menu"
All I can suggest is you use that switch option between boots.

Ya, I use EasyBCD, so I know I can switch, between boots, but that is not good enough. I want to be able to access Metro from Legacy without rebooting.

There's no way to load a system's Metro screen from another OS, however using Windows Explorer (Start > Computer, view the drive and give yourself permissions if necessary to view contents of folders) you can view contents of your personal folders.

If you wanted two OS's on your screen at once you would need to install the second or third OS's in Virtual Machines on the first system's desktop. That way you can switch views between them quickly.

There's no way to load a system's Metro screen from another OS, however using Windows Explorer (Start > Computer, view the drive and give yourself permissions if necessary to view contents of folders) you can view contents of your personal folders.

If you wanted two OS's on your screen at once you would need to install the second or third OS's in Virtual Machines on the first system's desktop. That way you can switch views between them quickly.

I think you misunderstand me.

Here are some screen pics, attache and inline below.

#1 My Legacy Boot Loader screen
#2 My Metro Boot Loader screen

I would like to either hit a key or see an option on the Legacy Boot Loader screen that causes the Metro Boot loader to run.

legacy_boot.jpg metro_boot.jpg

OK, on my machine at least if I pick, from that blue screen, a Windows installation OTHER than the one where EasyBCD is installed, in my case it's on Win 7 and I have 3 Win 10's as a multi-boot choice, then I would have to use the Metro screen. So I'd have to choose in advance and that would be fixed until the next time I decide to fiddle around with it.
I see what you mean now, it would be great if there was a shortcut to that, I agree.
I'm not sure if it's possible to be honest. The only person who can tell you that is the software designer himself, @mqudsi

You realize that F8 from the legacy screen will take you into advanced boot options too ?

Yes. I know about F8 Advanced Options on Legacy Boot menu, but the options there are NOT as comprehensive as the options available when you "choose other options" from the Metro Boot menu.

Hmmmm, nevermind. It seems that as long as Windows has properly installed your recovery environment, hitting F10 (More options / Launch recovery environment) from F8 brings you to the same screens available in the Metro Boot menu. My main PC does not have this, but my other PC does. Now I'm wondering how to fix that for my main PC. Both PCs are the same OS level of Windows 10, so that's not the problem.

Well, my original question is answered and I have something new to figure out. Consider this thread done and closed. Thanks.

Last edited:
In answer to the specific question first asked in this thread, it is not possible to load the metro UI bootloader from within the "legacy" black-and-white boot menu as they are both two different looks to the same menu. You can switch between them with EasyBCD, however: Changing the Menu Options

Back