Linux problem

P

peter3

Hello, All.
I've looked at the first several pages of entries and can not find a situation like mine.
I have three physical disks in a box running several Linux distros along with Win 7, Vista and XP.
The OS distribution goes like this:
Disk 1, the primary boot disk, contains the Linux systems. It boots from GRUB and I want it to stay that way. I want GRUB to be my
primary bootloader, as I am familiar with it and it works well.
Disk 2 contain Win 7 and an immaterial additional swap partition for Linux (I added memory......)
Disk 3 contains Vista and XP in that order.
GRUB offers me all the Linux systems to boot and Win 7 and Vista.
Both the Win 7 disk and the Vista / XP disk contain EasyBCD, but there's a rub.
If I select Win 7 in GRUB, I'm offered a second Windows boot menu containing Win 7 and Vista. They both work fine.
If I select Vista in GRUB, I'm offered Vista and XP. Vista works fine but XP throws an error and does not boot.
The final result I would love to see is to use EasyBCD as a secondary Bootloader that will offer all three Windows
systems on one menu that work. I don't care about extra lines in the GRUB menu if I could just have one that would
do the whole job. As it is now, I have to change the boot order in BIOS to get XP working.
The reason for all these systems is that I prefer Linux, except that it won't play Netflix (my wife lets me use her account
when she's not). I use Win 7 for that.
Vista is the system used at church, where I help maintain the computers.
XP is the sytem that Napa Valley Computers to Schools is putting on all their old, donated computers that we make
available for almost free to those who need them.

Now, if I could just arrange EasyBCD to run the three Windows systems, I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks.
Peter

Hello, All.
I've looked at the first several pages of entries and can not find a situation like mine.
I have three physical disks in a box running several Linux distros along with Win 7, Vista and XP.
The OS distribution goes like this:
Disk 1, the primary boot disk, contains the Linux systems. It boots from GRUB and I want it to stay that way. I want GRUB to be my
primary bootloader, as I am familiar with it and it works well.
Disk 2 contain Win 7 and an immaterial additional swap partition for Linux (I added memory......)
Disk 3 contains Vista and XP in that order.
GRUB offers me all the Linux systems to boot and Win 7 and Vista.
Both the Win 7 disk and the Vista / XP disk contain EasyBCD, but there's a rub.
If I select Win 7 in GRUB, I'm offered a second Windows boot menu containing Win 7 and Vista. They both work fine.
If I select Vista in GRUB, I'm offered Vista and XP. Vista works fine but XP throws an error and does not boot.
The final result I would love to see is to use EasyBCD as a secondary Bootloader that will offer all three Windows
systems on one menu that work. I don't care about extra lines in the GRUB menu if I could just have one that would
do the whole job. As it is now, I have to change the boot order in BIOS to get XP working.
The reason for all these systems is that I prefer Linux, except that it won't play Netflix (my wife lets me use her account
when she's not). I use Win 7 for that.
Vista is the system used at church, where I help maintain the computers.
XP is the sytem that Napa Valley Computers to Schools is putting on all their old, donated computers that we make
available for almost free to those who need them.

Now, if I could just arrange EasyBCD to run the three Windows systems, I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks.
Peter
Ok, so boot into W7, download/install EasyBCD there (if you have not already), load the BCD that is on the W7 HDD, and add an XP entry.
Then edit the Grub menu, rename the W7 entry to "Windows" or something similiar, and remove the Vista and XP entries, to prevent confusion.
Now if you want to boot into any 3 of the Windows OSes, just click on the "Windows" entry in Grub, and then select whichever one of the 3 you want to boot into at the moment. They should all work fine.

Report back if you have any problems. :smile:

Cheers.

-Coolname007

Hey there J, it's great to see you here! Hope all is going well with you?
Indeed it is. :booyah:
I'm making lots of progress on programming in both C++ and web languages.
I'm working on a number of different projects right now, and having fun switching from one to the other from time to time. :wink:
I'm still working on my web coding program (which I have dubbed "MAW" which is an abbreviation of "Make a Website" or "Make Awesome Websites"), and working on building a Html coding library first. Once I get that fully functional, I will then begin working on the Javascript coding library, then the PHP one, and then I'll put it all together into a GUI program written using the Qt GUI framework (which is an awesome C++ framework for GUI programs).
One of my other (web) projects I'm working on right now is a video chatting application using the OpenTok API which is awesome as well. :grinning:

So as you can see, I've been busy...

Btw, I can see you've been making EasyBCD awesomer and awesomer the whole time I've been away. :smile:

Last edited:
Oh, wow! I respect anyone that goes for the "little bit of everything" approach with regards to programming languages. Glad to see you're doing C++, PHP, Qt, and more! I've used Qt, but I've never heard of OpenTok - I'll have to look it up.

And, thanks (re EasyBCD). We've missed you!

Oh, wow! I respect anyone that goes for the "little bit of everything" approach with regards to programming languages. Glad to see you're doing C++, PHP, Qt, and more! I've used Qt, but I've never heard of OpenTok - I'll have to look it up.

And, thanks (re EasyBCD). We've missed you!
API features | OpenTok

The OpenTok API is a free and flexible cloud-based API, making it easy to add video chat to your applications without having to worry about infrastructure and scale—build your app using our simple JavaScript or ActionScript libraries.

Back