Major Hosting Problems

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi Guys,

I know the site has been down most of the past day - I'm sorry for the inconvenience and the downtime.

There's something wrong with the network on the server, and everything is acting up severely. I've been on the line non-stop with our host, and they're doing all they can to figure out what's wrong. Hopefully we can resolve this soon.

It seems to be fixed now Mahmoud. Thanks for the hard work.

Edit: there still seem to be the odd hiccups getting here which, under the circumstances, are understandable.

Last edited:
I was in the middle of checking posts last night, when I noticed you and Jus were both online, unusual with our normal geographic spread, so I checked your IP to see if you were on a trip to the US perhaps. (your normal IP is similar to mine, but last night you were listed as 192.168.26.1, which was identical to another user next to you in the "who's on" list.)
This IP was a mystery to IP lookup software, and when I went to check it again, I found I was the same IP, as was every other user.
Shortly afterwards the site disappeared.
Are the 2 things related ?

Yes. All traffic is being handled by a software proxy on the server, and it's playing with the IPs.

Peter, it really isn't back yet, I'm afraid. Just a workaround until they can really sort the issue out!

Yes. All traffic is being handled by a software proxy on the server, and it's playing with the IPs.

Peter, it really isn't back yet, I'm afraid. Just a workaround until they can really sort the issue out!

So I noticed...right after I posted. Good luckl!!

If you can see the site now, it should be working. If you can't see the site... you will soon :smile:

"Every cloud ....."
at least there's a very short queue of questions this morning .
Talking of which, has it made the news in your part(s) of the world that we're shut down here in the UK ?
All airspace closed for 2 days, thanks to an Icelandic ash cloud.

It's big news here - all of Air Canada's transatlantic flights last night and today have been cancelled - and we fly just about everywhere in Europe (and the rest of the world).

We have 6 flights daily from Toronto to London alone, I'm so glad I'm retired and don't have to face the mobs at the airport any more.

Yes, I put away my cattle prod.......sigh....just kidding.

:tongueout:oint::brows:

Last edited:
Is this volcanic ash also affecting flights from outside (and over) europe?

5iceland_volcano466.jpg

I'd imagine flights from, say, Poland or Russia could take the long way about to avoid the ash cloud - but how much more expensive would that be?

It's so hard to fathom how all our technology can be rendered useless in a matter of minutes due to natural occurrences.... we haven't even begun to tame this wild planet! (not sure that's a bad thing, though!)

They're paranoid about ash ever since a BA 747 in the '80s ran into an unseen cloud in the far-east at night and turned into the world's heaviest glider in a matter of seconds.
Cruising at 37000 ', they ended up at 12000' before clearing the cloud and managing to restart the engines. (which were all subsequently junked due to extensive damage.)

Wow.... I didn't know about that BA flight, Terry, but really even without a precedent for this blanket airspace ban, the pictures should be enough to scare everyone away from even thinking about flying!

3NCl

3NCm

Reading more of that report, I can see exactly why they shut down. Even flying 100 miles away from known ash can wreck your aircraft !

Whoops, sorry about that.. I was configuring the webserver and instead of entering "4" I somehow typed in "44444444444444444444444444" and everything went berserk! :grinning:

And I'm finally able to login and join the discussion :smile:

Those pictures do look bad. I wouldn't want to fly either until its cleared out.

Back