Microsoft to shut down TechNet subscription service

Yes, it's a real shame. There's a huge price difference between TechNet and MSDN.

Peter, the MVPs had recently been upgraded to MSDN from TechNet, no?

Well I haven't been an MVP since 2010 but I had a free Technet membership with mine, whoopee since I already had one, but I think they get an MSDN one now.

Addendum

To ensure that I have at least one OS working after my subscription ends I just changed the product key on my Vista back to my own copy. Had to do a phone activation but it worked fine. Also digging through my stockpile I notice that the only copy of Office that I actually own is 2007 Home & Student. which has extended support up to 2017. I guess that will have to do for now. Office is darned expensive to buy, but I'm afraid I don't like Open Office, otherwise I wouldn't have any worries. Now the only things I have to beat are Windows 7 Ultimate and possibly Windows 8 although I am rather leery of what will happen to that last one. The original W8 RTM key was Technet but I bought the upgrade and Media Center key which it now uses, (the MC edition uses its own activation key) so will it have rug pulled out from under it or not I wonder? Worst scenario is my having to purchase Win 7 Ultimate and Win 8 Pro DVD's (or downloads) and maybe Office Home and Business 2010 which is good until 2020. There's a place not far from here that specializes in MS Software and offers better prices than most places I've seen. They're reputable too as they supply Government departments....although I suppose one could argue that's not a really good recommendation. LOL
I'm planning rather early I realize as my Technet licenses are good until my subscription expires in April, 2014. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens on the day.

Last edited:
When I was an MVP for Windows, we got both MSDN and TechNET. That was an offer that I got when I started in 07 and finished in '12. So I guess it comes down to what you were an MVP for. Since I was MVP for Windows Consumer, they gave me the option of both since the subscription for one doesnt cover all consumer based products. There was things I got from MSDN that wasnt available on TechNET, such as the Expression Studio products.

They had switched it upbefore I left in '12 with the number of licenses you could get from each. Back when I first got tem both I was able to get 10 serials for each subscription for each product. They limited MSDN to 5 and TechNET to 3 my last year. But there was no software releases before April '12 to take advantage of.

They recently chopped the number of Technet Licenses to 5 of anything and there was even a daily limit of 10 downloads if I recall. I didn't keep the letter.

I dont remember a limit on downloads. Then again I got almost all of my stuff back on 07. Only after Win7 was released did I download in mass again. But it was only a copy of each ISO. I probably still have all of the emails. Just CBA to bother to look it up. :lol:

LOL. I just emailed Technet suggesting they offer a deal on MSDN subscriptions to existing Technet Subscribers they are about to give the heave-ho to.

Back