Moving system boot files to a different partition

I have a hard drive with 2 partitions, Windows 10 (C:smile:and Windows 7(D:smile:. Win10 Disk Management shows that Win 10 contains (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) - Win 7 contains (System, Active, Primary Partition)
I assume that when I boot up, Win 7 is in control.

I now want to delete the Win7 partition, but Disk Management shows Delete Volume greyed out. If I use Easybcd to move the System files to drive C (Win10), I'm told that these files stay on D. How do I then delete the D partition? I have a tbi backup file for Win 7, which I intend to bring back to a new second HD which I am about to buy. Please advise. Many thanks, Errol.

When you use EasyBCD
Changing the Boot Partition
you're correct that it leaves the original files completely unaltered.
However, after the above (and changing the BIOS to boot from the W10 drive), you'll find that the W7 drive is no longer "system"
It's that status which is preventing you from formatting the drive.
Once W10 is all three "boot", "system" and "active", you can do what you like with W7 despite the redundant boot files.

Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

Back