MS Keyboard and Mouse USB Problems at Boot

Muskt

Distinguished Member
Greetings.
I haven't posted in quite a while because EasyBCD has been working flawlessly for me.
My questions most likely don't pertain to the software, but here goes.

I just upgraded to a new keyboard/mouse combo from Microsoft. They are both wireless and obviously USB. I can no longer scroll through the list of OSs and can only boot into XP. I am guessing that this is because the USB drivers load after an OS is selected. If this is correct, is there a workaround that anyone knows about?

Second question, I can only execute one or two clicks of the mouse in Easy BCD and then the program freezes except for the menu items at the top. They take a very long time to show up after being clicked. Also the X for shutdown works.

I just upgraded to Easy BCD 1.7 & the problems listed above occurred in both 1.6 & 1.7 (after the keyboard & mouse upgrade)

Thanks again for a great product.
Jerry in Anchorage, Alaska

Hey Jerry!!

IT's nice to hear from you, I'm glad to learn that EasyBCD's been doing great with you.
It's a shame you had all that trouble booting Linux in the past, because the new versions of EasyBCD make it dead simple :smile:

For the first issue:
You need to get in your BIOS settings and look for some USB-related options. You're probably looking for "USB Legacy Support" (or something like that) and USB Speed or USB 2.0 Settings - make sure speed is set to "Hi Speed" and not "Full Speed".
This is a hardware issue.

As for your second problem..................

It is not directly an EasyBCD bug.
There is a program on your PC that is actively interfering with the way EasyBCD displays its UI - does this happen on both XP and Vista?

A user before had the same issue and we spent a month debuging it via email until we came to that conclusion.

In Windows XP I managed to pin this on using TaskSwitchXP - but there are other programs out there can corrupt the UI data for other programs on both XP and Vista.

I'd appreciate if you have any idea what program is causing this, so we can contact them and ask them to fix their broken software.

Addendum:

Oh, Jerry, we actually have a (nicer!) solution for the keyboard-at-boot issue: Download iReboot 1.0 - NeoSmart Technologies

iReboot is a taskbar application that you can use to choose what OS to reboot into :smile:

Last edited:
OK, the easyBCD works well, except for the wireless keyboard. So I downloaded iReboot but before I install it I have a question. With iReboot can you set which OS opens when you first boot up? If I shut down at night and want XP instead of Vista to open next time I log on, can iReboot do that?

Greetings.
I haven't posted in quite a while because EasyBCD has been working flawlessly for me.
My questions most likely don't pertain to the software, but here goes.

I just upgraded to a new keyboard/mouse combo from Microsoft. They are both wireless and obviously USB. I can no longer scroll through the list of OSs and can only boot into XP. I am guessing that this is because the USB drivers load after an OS is selected. If this is correct, is there a workaround that anyone knows about?

Second question, I can only execute one or two clicks of the mouse in Easy BCD and then the program freezes except for the menu items at the top. They take a very long time to show up after being clicked. Also the X for shutdown works.

I just upgraded to Easy BCD 1.7 & the problems listed above occurred in both 1.6 & 1.7 (after the keyboard & mouse upgrade)

Thanks again for a great product.
Jerry in Anchorage, Alaska

My advice in this case it to update the BIOS of your computer, it might resolve the issue. Beware when you flash the BIOS, make sure you know the steps to do it.
Cheers

Back