Multi-boot (exactly) the same (W7) partition

Probably mad and/or stupid...I know I can image my current (W7) C: partition to a spare disk and put that on a shelf as a system image backup. But it would be nice if I could
1. image c: partition to a spare partition (same computer different disk)
2. use bcdedit to create a multi-boot of the 2 identical partitions (see ** for why)

And I tried it - works fine- except the drive letters are screwed when booting from the copied partition. I'm slightly surprised that the boot partition isn't automatically renamed as C: So can I simply change the drive letters? I'm guessing I cannot change the letter of the current boot partition...

(**) while I upgrade one of the images to W10.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Yup, just go into the registry HKLM\System\MountedDevices and swap the drive letters you see there however you would like.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Yup. Make sure you don't end up with any conflicts (multiple drives mapping to the same volume) or inconsistencies (multiple volumes mapping to the same drive).

Yup. Make sure you don't end up with any conflicts (multiple drives mapping to the same volume) or inconsistencies (multiple volumes mapping to the same drive).
Thanks.

I have a dual multiboot:-
C: W7ORIG (when selected at boot works fine -as expected- this is the original bootable partition)
E: W7COPY (when selected at boot the drive name stays as E:; if I manually change C:->Z: and then E:-C: this will fix it?)

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Yes, but from within the cloned OS obviously.