Multi Boot ID & Changing

dbondo

I have a system that had it's two of the OS's corrupted (“Sony XP” & the partition called “Sony Win 7 64 bit” in the attached Easeus Partition Master screen shot). I have created the new partition called “Sony New Win 7x64” and done a complete new installation of Windows &. I'm reinstalling the old programs as I need them by installing them on the new partition and and intend to delete the old “Sony Win 7 64bit” when I no longer need it.
Easeus Partition View.png

My first problem in this scenario is that the partition that I intend to get rid of eventually is listed as a “System” partition and the “Sony New Win 7x64” which I intend to keep is only listed as “Boot” rather than “System & Boot” in the Easeus screen shot. How do I get the partition I intend to keep changed to bee both the System and Boot Partition.

The second problem is that I can't identify the GUIDs correctly and completely. See the BCD Screen shot.

BCD File.png

I think that I have figured out which GUID goes with which description thanks to EasyBCD below.

EasyBCD View.png

I also have a side by side screen shot that may help clarify things.

Side by Side View.png
I assume that the Windows Boot Manager inherit GUID {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}, came from the Windows Installation DVD. The other GUIDs seem to be explainable, with the exception of the Windows Boot Loader Inherit GUID {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}. I suspect that that one refers to the old “Sony XP” partition that a Microsoft Level Two tech blew away while trying to solve a . NET problem (another reason that I've gone to a new clean Win 7 64 bit installation. I'm building a new Sony XP partition on another Hard Drive that physically swapping in an out. I intend to clone that partition with EaseUS once I have gotten rid of the unwanted parttitions.

The last problem is that Windows Boot Manger only gives me a choice of OS's to boot when I physically remove the 2nd 2GB RAM chip. Once I install any memory chip above 2GB the system just boots directly into Windows 7 64 bit & I'm not sure which partitions it's using to boot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

If you have your boot files on a partition you wish you eliminate
Changing the Boot Partition - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

It's not the boot partition that I want to delete. It's the "System & Boot". The partition I want to boot from and keep is marked as the boot partition only. How do I change that partition to also be a "System & Boot" partition so that I can delete the corrupted partition that is marked as "System & Boot"???

I don't know which convention Easus follows.
That's why I gave you the meanings of MS Disk Management's use of the terms active, system and boot.
Look at what it calls the partitions.

The confusion arises because the term "boot partition" is widely used throughout computing generally, and Linux particularly to mean "the partition containing the boot files" which as you can see is not what MS means.
Likewise Linux marks the partition containing the flag used by the MBR to indicate the position of the boot files as "boot" whereas MS calls it "active".
There is only one physical flag, that's the bit set in the MBR partition table to mark the "active" (MS) or "boot" (Linux) partition.
It's the same physical bit, but referred to in those contradictory terms depending on who's doing the talking.
The other "flags" aren't real, they're just interpretations of the situation found by the running software.
MS tells you that it found the boot files on the "active" partition (if indeed it did) by also giving it the label "system". It also tells you where the Windows folder containing the currently running OS resides with the label "boot"
I've no idea what Easus means when it says "system" because I don't use it, so to make sure we're on the same page and that the advice given is relevant, please refer to what Disk Management calls the partitions.
If "system" is the partition you want to remove, then follow the instructions in the link given previously to copy the boot files to their new desired location.

Thank you, the link worked, and I now know that the partition I want is the active, system & boot.
Any suggestions regarding my last query, "The last problem is that Windows Boot Manger only gives me a choice of OS's to boot when I physically remove the 2nd 2GB RAM chip. Once I install any memory chip above 2GB the system just boots directly into Windows 7 64 bit."

I don't understand that at all. It shouldn't make the slightest difference to the boot manager how much RAM is present.

Back