Mysterious "Other User" login, no such domain

clayman

The machine I am trying to get to boot properly is my daughter's Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop running Vista 32-bit Home version which had just started failing to log in to Windows. It would show the logon profile names, and when log on name and password were entered and clicked the WIndows log in would start and would not complete. A start into Safe Mode in order to do a chkdsk would stall at a crcdsk.sys line in the routine and go no further. Reading about these things brought me to Neosmart and the Windows Recovery disk purchase.

After installing the Windows Recovery CD and booting up, I made the automatic repairs (both methods have been tried) several times following the instructions. I then clicked restart, opened the drive bay to get the boot from the HDD and the computer goes until it shows a Login for "Other User" and "Password". Entering anything into these results in a screen saying something about there is no such domain or such. With further reading I found Mahmoud's reply to someone with a similar problem telling them that they had installed the wrong restore point. In the instance of this computer there were only two restore points showing and they both come to the same result as mentioned previously. Fortunately the backup function has worked well enough that backing up user data to an external drive is possible. Now I would like to find a way to make the computer work again, presumably in Windows Vista.

I did use the menu to try and get a command prompt s I could perform a chkdsk /f, but it seems to be stuck in some triplehelix routine and does not recognize any command types in, including the level escalation instructions from Neosmart. I have also found that the computer will no longer respond to any attempt to enter Safe Mode or the diagnostics in that menu; it just boots to the "Other User" login, or with the Recovery Disk in to the NeoSmart menu.

Research through the Forums does not find an answer for me, or at least any that i can recognize as relevant to my situation. Where to next? Before you say it is my fault, please let me say "okay, but why aren't your instructions or automated functions better?" I m pleased (today anyway, not last night) that your product has made it possible to recover data in case the Vista has to be reinstalled instead of being repaired. But what of installed software that was purchased after the computer was purchased? Specifically MS Office; can the key be recovered for making it work again?

If you read the topics carefully you will see that the Recovery Media is Linux based and not Windows based. Meaning that no single Windows command, like chkdsk, will work as that is a Windows only command. There is also no option within our media to reinstall the Operating System.

Your system as it stands will not be able to be recovered. You will have to reinstall or reset the machine to factory settings. As for software that was installed after, you will have to download and reinstall it.

If you read the topics carefully you will see that the Recovery Media is Linux based and not Windows based. Meaning that no single Windows command, like chkdsk, will work as that is a Windows only command. There is also no option within our media to reinstall the Operating System.

Your system as it stands will not be able to be recovered. You will have to reinstall or reset the machine to factory settings. As for software that was installed after, you will have to download and reinstall it.
Perhaps then you should not call the product you are selling a Windows Vista Recovery disk, as you are not able to recover functionality of Vista just using your product. There is nothing in the sales side of the transaction to tell you that you are installing a Linux based system. Pretty shady. I think the Consumer Products Commission needs to hear about your product, as well as the Better Business Bureau.

I did figure out after much reading in your forums that my hope for a full recovery for Vista was by-passed by using your product. Good luck with your product development.

Back