need help on linux

ewerwerwe

i have tried linux first time and i have many many question to clear!

first
do we need a anti virus programme for it i mean if i use pan drive or cds frequently or dwnld files from internet then does all this increase my system Vulnerability in linux! does linux more secure than a window with good anti and firewall? compare to a linux distributiuon with no anti virus and firewall

2nd
why my music files which was running fine not working and require some codecs and plug ins to play same with dvd and video files in linux. of course if you connected with internet no problem , but what if we have to play multimedia files in computer which have no priviledge of online connection in it!

highly important
one of my biggest reason switching to linux is ,will to change the core files of os. i am begginer in programming( c ) . so i need some tips how to change or edit the source code in my linux distribution. so please shed some light on it! which components a user can change in a linux distribution.

i have been using windows for years so not enough knowledge. my above question is based on linux - fedora and ubuntu!

thanks!

i have tried linux first time and i have many many question to clear!

first
do we need a anti virus programme for it i mean if i use pan drive or cds frequently or dwnld files from internet then does all this increase my system Vulnerability in linux! does linux more secure than a window with good anti and firewall? compare to a linux distributiuon with no anti virus and firewall
First,
Linux is much more secure than Windows. Viruses, spyware, and all that crap are practically unheard of in Linux (though some people have experienced certain Windows viruses running under the program "Wine", which is a compatibility layer for Ubuntu, that allows you to run some Windows programs). However, you should always use the best security practices anyway. It is inadvisable to download/install random software at will, and/or visit random websites. Always use caution, and research everything. For those few Linux users who are still concerned about viruses, there is "ClamAV" in Ubuntu, which one can install, and a couple others. ClamAv can also be useful for scanning Windows executables before running them in Wine. As far as firewalls are concerned, there are several good ones out there for Linux. I use Firestarter.
2nd
why my music files which was running fine not working and require some codecs and plug ins to play same with dvd and video files in linux. of course if you connected with internet no problem , but what if we have to play multimedia files in computer which have no priviledge of online connection in it!
No OS is perfect for every user. User sitations vary much, what with different hardware and software variations. Generally, most hardware problems can be resolved quickly with the help of a few experienced members of your Linux distribution's forums, along with any other problem. As for codecs and plugins, you have to do this on Windows also. I myself have experienced times when Windows Media Player, for example, could not play a music or movie file right away, and I had to download codecs before it did. And of course, who hasn't discovered a website which informs you need to download/install the latest update to Flash or Quicktime player? :wink: etc., etc...
You can't expect all stuff to work "right out of the box", so to speak. If you're going to use software (ANY software) on a regular basic, you have to be willing to research and troubleshoot any problem you experience in getting stuff to work.
highly important
one of my biggest reason switching to linux is ,will to change the core files of os. i am begginer in programming( c ) . so i need some tips how to change or edit the source code in my linux distribution. so please shed some light on it! which components a user can change in a linux distribution.
C (or C++) programming (as far as STL source code is concerned) will work on both Linux and Windows, provided you compile the source code with the compiler for that OS you're coding under. And there are certain GUI frameworks (Qt for example, which I use myself a lot) which are cross-platform, meaning the source code will not need to be edited across different platforms. As for components of Linux a user can change, well, most Linux distributions (including my favorite, Ubuntu) are open-source, meaning you can edit anything you want. Now, that's of course only the OS itself. There are many 3rd party Linux programs which are not open-source.
i have been using windows for years so not enough knowledge. my above question is based on linux - fedora and ubuntu!

thanks!
Yep, I've been there. :smile: Fortunately, there are many people out there, who have also come from a Windows background originally, who will help you with any problem you experience. Just Google, register and post at support forums, and you should be able to resolve most any problem.

Last edited:

here i simply want to know is this possible to play a mp3 music in a pc which have no internet connection. what if he will show "need plugin message" .
highly important
i need to know where to go for edit kernel mode in linux. or tell procedure. means how to compile and merge the code or edit the default code and add the new one!

here i simply want to know is this possible to play a mp3 music in a pc which have no internet connection. what if he will show "need plugin message" .
I don't know about Fedora, but Ubuntu does not support mp3s "right out of the box". This is because it is one of the "restricted formats" which does not meet Ubuntu's free software license terms:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Yes, it will require downloading and installing some extra, restricted, plugins. If your PC does not have internet access, you're out of luck unless you have another PC which does have an internet connection, in which case you could download from there, and then transfer the files to the other non-internet-accessible computer, and then install them.
i need to know where to go for edit kernel mode in linux. or tell procedure. means how to compile and merge the code or edit the default code and add the new one!
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

A quick download of VLC for linux well fix not being able to play mp3s, unless you want to go hunting down a codec/tutorial for getting it working.

Back