Need help with correcting menu.lst commands for booting LinuxMint15 with neoGrub

RonCam

Current menu.lst reads as follows:

Code:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# [URL="http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/"]EasyBCD[/URL]

#find --set-root /NTLDR
#makeactive
#chainloader /NTLDR
#boot

#This is our second entry
title         LinuxMint 16 - Petra    
#root       (hd1,2)       #Load Ubuntu from the 2nd harddrive's 3rd partition.
root         (hd0,7)        #Load (or, boot?) Mint from the 1st HD's 7th partition? (sda9 is 7th from Win2K).
#Next Line: Translate (hd1,2) to Linux notation and set that as the root partition
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=/dev/sda10
initrd         /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
#End Mint entry

... including some comments to myself, in trying to translate the example file to my situation.

Mint is installed as follows:
sda9 (boot)
sda10 (root)
sda11 (swap)
sda12 (home)

The first four lines of the script, are 'commented-out'. I thought in this situation they might not be included. Correct, or not??

Position of volumes on HDD:
hd0,0 (Win2K)
hd0,1 (Win7)
hd0,7 (Mint boot)
hd0,8 (Mint root)
hd0,9 (Mint swap)
hd0,10 (Mint home)

'hd0,1' has its tag set, to be the boot partition. Are the volumes correctly translated from DOS notation to Linux notation?
The GNU/Linux Mint volumes are identified as was seen by using an Ext4 file viewer from inside MS Windows.

What is happening when system boots, menu selections are made, and LinuxMint fails to load and run:
Windows Boot Manager
-> NeoGrub Bootloader <-
<Enter>
GRUB4DOS 0.4.5c
-> LinuxMint 16 - Petra <-
<Enter>
Booting LinuxMint 16 - Petra
Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x07
Kernel /boot/vmlinux-3.0.0-12-generic root=/dev/sda10
Error 15: File not found
? Could anyone please suggest how I should modify the script, to get a proper boot?

Last edited:
Additional information below, that should have been included in the original post

Position of [and types] volumes of partitions on HDD:
1st primary:
hd0,0 (Win2K)

2nd primary:
hd0,1 (Win7)
3rd primary:
hd0,7 (Mint boot - logical)
hd0,8 (Mint root - logical)
hd0,9 (Mint swap - logical)
hd0,10 (Mint home - logical)

? Could anyone please suggest how I should modify the script, to get a proper boot?

Information on partition types has been added by editing the quote from my first post ... I just discovered, the BBS system is no longer accepting edits to the original.

I'm using neoGrub and a script because I'm working with a single hard drive, and have run out of primary partitions. Initially, LinuxMint was the third entry on the normal easyBCD-generated boot menu, but that selection became unstable and stopped working after a couple of months.

Some time ago, Computer Guru advised me that using neoGrub would solve the instability problem, as may be expected when booting an installation located on logical partitions. This was quite a while ago, and if this isn't correct now, please let me know.

When the neoGRUB script is read, is that under the control of GRUB4DOS's drive-numbering system? Or, under the control of GRUB2, that comes with the LinuxMint installation? I've discovered that GRUB1 and GRUB2 use different numbering conventions, and I'm not sure which of these GRUB4DOS follows.
I need help to keep the drive numbers straight, please. :S

Please let me know if any of the above is in error, or it additional information on my set-up is needed!

Just to make sure my primary question doesn't get lost, in all the background information:

Last edited:
RonCam, I'm not sure exactly when the NeoGrub advice was given and cannot recall the exact circumstances, but if I'm not mistaken, Linux Mint 15 uses GRUB2, does not need to be on a primary partition, and can be chainloaded cleanly after installing GRUB2 to the MBR via EasyBCD's fully-automated GRUB2 support instead of NeoGrub?

... I'm not sure exactly when the NeoGrub advice was given and cannot recall the exact circumstances ...
Yes, that was some time ago.

If you look at the first quote in this post, that was the problem I was hoping to address with neoGRUB.

Or, I could re-do my partitions, but I thought there would be less risk of something going wrong during that process, if I could use the partitions where they now are.

I think it's in the thread, but to summarize, it did work at first, but one day the LinuxMint menu entry failed to boot, and so far I have been unable to fix it.

So, what do you think after reading through that thread?

Back