Need help with non booting Windows 8.1/10 desktop

darkcyber

Ok, I downloaded the new Windows 10 upgrade and set it to upgrade my Windows 8.1 pc. After rebooting all I can get is the System Loading and then a blue crash screen that says: :frowning: Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (% complete). error 0xc000021a.

I am a computer tech and I have tried everything known to get it to boot...even spent hours on the phone with Microsoft and they finally said would have to do a wipe and clean install, which I do not want to do.

I download Easy Recovery Essential hoping it could help. When I boot up with it and select "Automatic Repair" I get the following screen:

Data Volume FAT32 100 MiB Active NO
Unmountable Volume NTFS 404 GiB Active NO
Data Volume NTFS 1 TiB Active NO.

The unmountable partition is my OS partition where Windows 8.1 (or 10) is installed and the 1 TB is my data partition on the same hd. I can go into the Command Prompt from WinRE and I can see all my files and directories listed.

I have tried setting C:, the unmountable volume, to ACTIVE and get this error: "The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk. The active command can only be used on fixed MBR disks."

I have also tried all of the bootrec options and nothing has help.

Suggestions are much appreciated...is there anything in Easy Recovery Essentials I can do to fix the unmountable volume?

Thanks for the tip...email sent. Already tried everything you mentioned already, numerous times. Thus, this is the reason I am here trying Easy Recovery Essentials to see if it can do anything. Can't get to Safe Mode period. I can use an installation disc and I can get the F8 for Safe Mode right before it boots up with the disc, but selecting Safe Mode only carry's me to the same blue crash screen. Also, there is no option listed "Last known good configuration". Again, I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing has worked...that is why I am here to see if ERE can, but it shows my OS partition as unmountable...so looks like it can't help either.

Back