Need Step by Step for Multi boot. Experience computer user.

Is Multi-Boot an easy function to perform?

• Yes, but I am Super Nerd and I can handle it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BarJabba

Hello folks!!

I am looking at the Dual/Multi Boot files and info you provide. I am ihave a big need to do this. I am a programmer and have been in computing since 1983, really, I am an old hack :brows: that pretty much stayed away from this aspect. I always deferred this operation to underlings. Why? because I didn't want to be the one to get in trouble WHEN things got messed up.:tongueout:

Now, finally, my hand has been forced. :ldown: The first and last time I tried a dual boot was in 2000 when I wanted to put on RedHat(5.1 I think). I went to Fry's electronics and picked up a boxed version, thinking that I would get a extensive manual and a pretty "user stupid" installation program. :nerd: I went through its criptic disk partitioning routine(which was easy enough for no GUI). Then the installation of this Linux Distribution happened. I surely thought I was getting a stable process by buying it. It failed and luckily had my drive imaged on my companies server at the time. I guess I was too ignorant and scrambled up my drive. So, I said "no more of this!"

Now, I really need to multi boot all three OS's. I have XP Home which came loaded with HP/Compaq's mass produced image of thier XP. I need to, by all means necessary, keep this XP Home my main OS. No damage, no disappearing acts, and no reinstalls/repairs.:scared: You see, HP/Compaq does not give an XP Install CD to thier customers to be able to do repairs. They only offer a D: drive with only the ability to completly erase everything and put your HD in the same "Factory" condition when I bought it. I had always did custom builds and bought my own OS's before. I'll never do big OEM thing again!:tongueout:

XP Home C: Drive|Maxtor 141 GB internal|PRESARIO|Primary
XP Home D: Drive|HP Restore|Maxtor|7.10GB Internal|PRESARIO_RP|Pimary

New yet to be partitioned:
A Seagate 1 TB USB (J:smile: external drive which is always connected.
I need a Windows 7 RC to be in one partition on J: drive and then I need a Ubuntu/Fedora on different J: drive partition.

I have 47% [70 GB] left on the Maxtor (C:smile: Drive.
I have 88% [821 GB] left on the Seagate (J:smile: drive.
I have a number of drive designations for my card readers
I prefer to have the two new OS's on the J: drive and leaving C: completely untouched. But I could dedicate some partition space on C:, if I really have too.

I wneed to see and access at boot up the three selections I already see plus the new OS's.

I am sending up an attachment to show a Drive Management Screenshot. I just want to know if this is possible with EasyBCD and how? I mean step by step how and would also like to know what things I might run into in that process.

Also, I am looking at another OS manager option. It's one you know I am sure: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/multibooting.html

I would only like to do a comparision in fuctionality. I know EasyBCD is free (I do not know why), but, I don't mind paying for a stable and function filled application. So, if EasyBD fits the bill, I would pay what it is worth anyway. I am looking at all the stated functions that Acronis's program have. Why should I choose EasyBCD over the other? I just want success. They also offer a disk manage suite too. Which I think I am gonna need too. I am open to any advice.

That's it! Sorry for the lengthy message here. :nerd:

BarJabba

P.S. I like the configurations of some other where you put your OS's all on separte partitions and data settings from all those OS's on its own data partitions. Maybe someday!

Attachments

• Disk Management 1.JPG
    Disk Management 1.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Disk Management 2.JPG
    Disk Management 2.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 3
XP Home C: Drive|Maxtor 141 GB internal|PRESARIO|Primary
XP Home D: Drive|HP Restore|Maxtor|7.10GB Internal|PRESARIO_RP|Pimary

New yet to be partitioned:
A Seagate 1 TB USB (J:smile: external drive which is always connected.
I need a Windows 7 RC to be in one partition on J: drive and then I need a Ubuntu/Fedora on different J: drive partition.
Hi Barjabba, welcome to NST.
It is impossible to have two OSes on the same partition (i.e. J) , and Windows can not even give any drive letters to a Linux partition because it can not recognize the filesystem (Linux doesn't assign drive letters to its partitions at all either)! :brows: And if you meant you were going to install Win 7 to the J: drive letter partition, and Ubuntu/Fedora on a "different J: drive partition", that wont work either seeing as you can't have two partitions with the same drive letter in the same booted system, and as mentioned before, Windows wont give a drive letter to the Linux partition because it doesn't recognize the filesystem.
I have 47% [70 GB] left on the Maxtor (C:smile: Drive.
I have 88% [821 GB] left on the Seagate (J:smile: drive.
I have a number of drive designations for my card readers
I prefer to have the two new OS's on the J: drive and leaving C: completely untouched. But I could dedicate some partition space on C:, if I really have too.
Again, you can not have two OS's on the "J: drive" or "on C:" for that matter. If you simply meant you were going to install both on the Seagate drive, then that makes more sense. :wink:
I wneed to see and access at boot up the three selections I already see plus the new OS's.
Yes, with EasyBCD, this is easy. Just add a few simple entries to the BCD with the Win 7 bootloader in charge of the boot (you may have to adjust the BIOS boot sequence to boot Win 7's drive first).

Jake

P.S. For a more detailed procedure of multibooting, read the links in my sig, especially the one called "Steps for Multibooting". For Vista, read Win 7 in your case.

Last edited:
Response to Codename007

Webmaster: why did this reply not carry over the thread subject line?

"It is impossible to have two OSes on the same partition (i.e. J) , and Windows can not even give any drive letters to a Linux partition because it can not recognize the filesystem (Linux doesn't assign drive letters to its partitions at all either)! :brows: And if you meant you were going to install Win 7 to the J: drive letter partition, and Ubuntu/Fedora on a "different J: drive partition", that wont work either seeing as you can't have two partitions with the same drive letterA in the same booted system, and as mentioned before, Windows wont give a drive letter to the Linux partition because it doesn't recognize the filesystem."

I think I did not make myself clear and I apologize. I am saying I want separate partitions for each OS. My internal C: drive has about 70 GB left to break out a partition for Windows 7 RC. Lets consentrate on that first. Someone said that I could not use an USB drive(even if it is constantly connected) for any MS OS's. That is really sad. If I have to give Win7 its own partition, fine, I already planned to. I do not want Win 7 to corrupt, erase, or otherwise stop letting me boot into My main XP Home. Later, when I have done all the testing and migration project list and am ready to migrate, I will be ready to install Windows 7 as my main OS. I know that means a whole new clean drive, but, I will be prepared for the work it will take getting it the way I need it to be. I have some high processing softwares and I use assitive technolofies. I will have some digital home stuf too. I also will have a new Mobo/RAM/CPU installed too. This about a year away, if I can help it. I want that upgrade so bad!!

Whaatever I do, I must not mess up XP Home. I can't afford it both expense of time and effort to rebuild it, but, also being able to do my work and communicate. I am just avoiding having to be down for long(if at all). It will not be good for me to be just testing the OS and have it screw my system.

"Again, you can not have two OS's on the "J: drive" or "on C:" for that matter. If you simply meant you were going to install both on the Seagate drive, then that makes more sense."

I think I must of did a real terrible job of explaining my current drive situation. See above. I know you can't just simply put two OS's on the same partition and same drive letter. I did mention that I wanted separation of all the OS's because of that fact. So, let just say for now, forget the Ubuntu OS's. Stick with Windows 7.

How to install this in a dual boot with the standing XP Home available to me in the boot menu and in actual access. If that means a whole new internal drive, than fine. Granted it will be a small cheap drive, because I will be dropping the RC at some point.

Also, I hate that "It can't be done" when others around me have found a way to do it. I don't understand why anyone would put the WIN 7 RC if it meant a whole new system to just test it. That is not a good thing. I am not a big compant that can just have my IT put together a test maching separate from my main systems. I only have one computer to work with. I know yu can multi boot, or the function and EasyBCD would not exist. Everyone that wnated to work in some other OS would have to have multiple computers.

I am sorry for not being clearer. I hope we can get on with seeing if EasyBCD is a good option. Expert-Exchange member pointed me this way. I might sound a little frustrated ... I am. I have been working a few issues and it seems the more I get a solution, the more problems arise. SIGH!:lup::shame:

I 'll try to be more precise and nicer.

It sounds like Multi/Dual booting is a messy, troublsome, and not very easy to do effecietly. For sure no OS is worth such trouble.

Mind you, I have been more enlightened on the subject from other sources lately. I am going to have to decide what to do. I may just get someone who really knows this subject here in my city, and maybe get some paid services going. I was hoping to just do it myself. I am capable, just not wanting all the fuss and mess. I'll gladly deferr and just watch and learn from that person.

Thanks!! I appreciate your response. I'll end up with the right thing. I am persistant in finding solutions.

Addendum:

I did get to D/L EasyBCD. I will take a look at it and try to gleen enough info to make a decision. A manual or other documentation will be even bette.

Thanks all, I'll get it done right...eventually.

Last edited:
BarJabba,

As mentioned before, multibooting OSes on a single computer is really easy with EasyBCD (hence why it is called EasyBCD).
Basically, what you need to do is simply install Win 7 to its own partition on the same internal hard drive as XP (no need for another hard drive), and then add XP to the Win 7 BCD with EasyBCD.
To do that, follow these simple steps:

• Reboot your computer.
  • Enter your BIOS (by pressing the key it tells you to press at the first splash screen at startup).
  • Put your CD/DVD drive first in the boot sequence, and the hard drive that contains XP next in the boot order.
  • Insert your Win 7 DVD.
  • Save the changes and exit the BIOS.
  • You should now see a message saying "Press any key to boot from CD". So press a key.
  • Go through with the installation process, and install Win 7 to its own pre-created NTFS partition (so you don't end up with a hidden 'system' partition for Win 7).
  • Now boot into Win 7 (should do it automatically after the installation process, where you setup the OS).
  • Download and install EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, Build 63. Don't worry about it being a beta (it is perfectly safe).
  • Open up EasyBCD.
  • Navigate to the Add/Remove Entries page.
  • Select the Windows tab (if not already selected).
  • Pick "...NT/XP" in the Type drop-down menu.
  • Give the boot entry an appropriate name (such as "Windows XP").
  • Click on the green Add Entry button to create the new BCD entry for XP.
  • You should get a prompt asking you if you want to let it auto-configure boot.ini for you. Hit yes.
  • Now simply close EasyBCD (without doing any kind of modifying to the XP entry!).
  • Reboot, and you should see a new entry in your boot menu (in addition to the Win 7 entry). Select it to boot into XP. :smile: Piece of cake! You now have a dual-boot of Win 7 and XP.

Webmaster: why did this reply not carry over the thread subject line?

Its not supposed to. We can tell its a reply nevertheless without it and the title w/ link to the thread well appear in upper-right to permalinks to individual posts. But you may add it in your posts as you wish.

Back