Need to recover default settings on a Vista Ultimate Install.

kram_eilsel

I had some problems with my bootable Vista Ultimate, so was directed by the OS to boot off the install disk and use the "Recover" option.

I did that, it recognized that I had some problems; and then it fixed them. Well so to speak. My machine boots okay now, but when I hit F9 to get the boot menu for the "Memory Diagnostic Tool" or try to set my machine to use it during reboot I get an error that it was not found and to use the "recover" option to get it back.

When I reboot off the install disk the "recovery" option does not see any problems. :??

I think bottom-line what has happened, is after the inital "recovery" it renamed my main boot menu as "Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)" and that is the ONLY option available. Shouldn't there be another option present for the \boot folder?

Hope you guys can help! I don't really have any other system I can "check" to see what the default menu should look like.:nerd:

^ hello kram

i said hi already lol

im some what of the new late watchmen on this forum i guess lol

well i havent used ultimate ever, and im not really the highly knowledge here, but Computer Guru and the others will be back in a while, we are all spread across the world lol

Hey Kram, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Can you boot into Windows Vista, open a command prompt (run cmd.exe) and type in "bcdedit.exe /v" (without the quotes) and paste the output here in a
Code:
 box?

(:lol: @ the night watchman description :P)

Hey Kram, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Can you boot into Windows Vista, open a command prompt (run cmd.exe) and type in "bcdedit.exe /v" (without the quotes) and paste the output here in a
Code:
 box?

(:lol: @ the night watchman description :P)[/quote]

Hehe will do tomorrow - gotta call it a night, er morning.. (01:26 AM)

Think it is just a "basic" config.. but I will see what I can find out tomorrow.  There is a \boot folder in my C:\ that has the memtest.exe in it - so that's why this is a bit puzzling.  I guess at worst, I will be re-installing vista.  The nVidia bug has basically rendered this machine useless. :rage:  If you google "[I]nvlddmkm vista"[/I] you will get an earfull of what I (and many others) have been going through lately.>.<

"nVidia" ehhh... icky!

i am sorry for you, that might not work until the SP1 at the end of the year... maybe that is if nVidia puts out some drivers for the Service package...

but considering last i checked, they still had a lawsuit against them :{

(i think i made a new emote lol, that would be a very unhappy face lol)

atm im only using the intel on-board chipset for graphics.... which does work well with vista, but is however of course, very low end quality :rage:

Thanks for the help and the understanding "shoulder" regarding nVidia and Vi$ta. I don't have an overly "uber" video card (7900GTX) it performs very well (accept for the ANNOYING black screens as of lately). Just glad I didnt pop the extra bux for an 8800 and have the same (or worse problems)!

Here is the output:
<clip start>--------------------------
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Taxman>bcdedit.exe /v
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  unknown
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default                 {6f0a3d7f-62f7-11dc-8b39-c641dcb25b45}
resumeobject            {695c20b5-62e7-11dc-9507-806e6f6e6963}
displayorder            {6f0a3d7f-62f7-11dc-8b39-c641dcb25b45}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 30
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {6f0a3d7f-62f7-11dc-8b39-c641dcb25b45}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Microsoft Windows Vista
bootdebug               No
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {e1ee7ad6-65ba-11dc-bc3d-806e6f6e6963}
nx                      OptIn
pae                     ForceDisable
sos                     No
debug                   No
C:\Users\Taxman>
<clip end>--------------------------

Shows how tired I was, I could have typed that from the command line last night. I thought you wanted me to boot to command shell and do it. :-D

I did find another Vi$ta Ultimate machine and ran EasyBCD and copied the config exactly. Well still no glory - it doesn not want to "see" the \boot directory when it comes up in the "run memtester" mode. :wtf:

I will run the same command on the other machine and compare notes.

Thanks for the help!

-Taxman

P.S. On a positive note - there were some new drivers+M$ fixes posted recently that I loaded last night. So far, so good *knock on wood* - but I will do some gaming tonight to see if it really is working!:brows:

That's good news - I'll be getting an nVidia in my next machine, so I'm especially glad to hear it :smile:

OK, can you try EasyBCD 1.7 | Diagnostics | Reset BCD Data?
That might take care of your problem..

Well that took care of it! I was able to boot into the "memory diagnostic tool" mode!

Here is what it looks like now:
---------------------
Code:
C:\Users\Taxman>bcdedit.exe /v
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
description             Windows Boot Manager
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default                 {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
resumeobject            {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
displayorder            {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 5
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Vista
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx                      OptOut
C:\Users\Taxman>
---------------------

Looks like there are still a few SNAFU's to work out with the nVidia/Vista, it worked great one evening and then back to:
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" ...

Thanks for the help, and a GREAT & FREE utility!

Hey, I'm glad to hear it!

We reverse-engineered the Windows Vista "bootloader repair" when booting from the CD and integrated it into our Diagnostics Section, to be able to work around these very things :smile: - with the added bonus of actually working :wink:

Hehe thanks - I was not overly impressed with Micro$oft'$ "repair" that didn't actually work at all. :-D All seems to be well - the memtest working and the new nVidia and M$ fixes are causing a LOT less headaches! Thanks again!

I have a very similar problem, but with hibernation instead of memory tester. This is what i have:
Resume from Hibernate
---------------------
identifier {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device unknown
path \Windows\system32\winresume.exe
description Windows Resume Application
locale en-US
inherit {resumeloadersettings}
filedevice unknown
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae No
debugoptionenabled No

The device should be set to "partition=C:". How do i do this? I have no clue what filedevice should be set to.

In the Power Console:
Code:
bcdedit.exe /set {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e} device partition=c:

:grinning:THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grinning:
btw, is the "filedevice" of any importance? Cause if you look , that was also given "Unknown".

Back