.old

It's impossible to have 2 OS's on the same partition, unless you install a Virtual Machine and use that for the other OS('s).
In 2 (or more with limitations) partitions on the same disk, yes it's possible.

Use either a proprietary partition manager (check Google search for free or cheap ones) or use Windows own Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management to create another partition. You can check how online. You would need to use a recovery or system disk to actually move a system.. But using a proprietary tool (Easeus or similar) you could create a physical partition before the one you are booting to, but altering drive letters etc. would be via a recovery or system disk Not via EasyBCD. That becomes complicated. I will ask my colleague @Terry60 for advice

Windows.old is the file Windows Update uses to return an upgraded OS to the status quo ante if there's something wrong with (or you don't like) the new OS.
It can't be used for any other purpose as far as I'm aware.

thanks guys. I know how to create a partition by the way - I wasn't asking that :smile:

My scenario is that I spent ooo I dunno about a week forcing a 64 bit machine to accept windows 7 32 bit and then was lazy when adding a eval of windows server 2016 and should have created a partition for it.

so the simple answer is "no" ... .old cannot be recycled, although it can be reused. notes on the getting 2016 off the and reinstating win 7 32 bit from the .old would be nice. because someone has implied or at least intimated in here that .old can be used again in favour of whatever is added as the main o/s afterwards.

this is a great forum by the way - I was a bit skeptical about the Pilate approach to support from the vendor - but the forums seem to more than make up for it. as for the product: so far I haven't need to use it to do anything that I couldn't already have done myself - I know almost s0d all about the topics at hand. Time will tell I guess ...

I was kinda under the impression that it could make .old bootable. If no,t as someone has quite rightly said it is possible to resuse .old and discard the new o/s . so why can't the product do that somehow .. but not discard the new o/s .. either fake .old into being a viable, bootable o/s on the same partition somehow (wouldn't that be ace) .. or help with creating and moving to a new partition. .. just for lazy idiots like me :smile:

Windows.old, created whenever a system goes through a major update, is only useful if you want to take the machine back to wherever it was previously using Windows own tools as previously said, but you can delete that folder once you are sure it's no longer needed.
For Win 7 it's: Windows.old Folder - Delete - Windows 7 Help Forums

Last edited:
Back