Partitioning

toxic chicken

Distinguished Member
when i installed vista, i put it on a 20gb partition. now that i've almost completely filled that up, i want to add another 20gb to it. i resized the xp partition, so now i have 20gb of unallocated space.

acronis disk director (bootable cd) shows the partition size is locked, and disk management won't expand it either.

i would recommend booting into windows XP and running partition magic if you have it, if not use the UBCD (Dos version)

Theres loads of partition tools on it, i have used it numerous times

Computer Guru said:
OK, if Acronis shows it locked, run a chkdsk /f on the drive.
you can't do that becuase its not a drive yet, its un partitioned space, Well i am assuming that what it is, and i didn't think you can do that on un partitioned space, i maybe wrong, try it.
Let me know if it works.

XcOM said:
Computer Guru said:
OK, if Acronis shows it locked, run a chkdsk /f on the drive.
you can't do that becuase its not a drive yet, its un partitioned space, Well i am assuming that what it is, and i didn't think you can do that on un partitioned space, i maybe wrong, try it.
Let me know if it works.
No, not on the unallocated space, but on the 'locked' partition.

chkdsk /f the Vista drive, then try to resize.

I bet you just loaded UBCD and looked in Hard Drive tools,

You should look in File system tools, theres about 12 diffrent partitioning tools there.

and i see what you meen guru about unlocking the drive.

Next time try making the partition for Vista in Vista Setup itself, it saves a headache later on.

So, are you OK with it now?

Back