Problem with extracting files from ZIP archive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConorrMurphy

Need help restoring backup files which were created by genie backup manager software.

I have lost some of the sequential files in the overall backup sequence.

The software vendor knowledge base claims that the almost 2-gig backup files are really

a zip file and should be able to unzip with any winzip type utility.

Problem and a question is: I get the zip files, unzip them and all files come out great but with

an extra extension. For example document.doc gets extracted as document.doc.genc file.

I rename the file to document.doc and even though the file size, creation date is fine the

file is unreadable. This applies to all files extracted this way. anyone had any experience with this?

Or what is a good zip un-corrupt utility out there?

I would imagine that they can only be handled by the software that created them in the first place. Every backup software maker uses different processes to encrypt their backups.

So if you want to repair corrupted archive, you can try to use WinRAR.

Step 1: Run WinRAR and in address bar, navigate to the location where the corrupted archive is saved.

Step 2: Select corrupted RAR or ZIP file. Click Repair button in tool bar, and choose “Repair archiver” if there is a drop-down list.

Step 3: Then a new dialog would pop up. There you can choose the location where you want to save the archive after repairment. Confirm settings and click OK.

Step 4: After 100% repairing corrupted archive, go to the folder you choose to save repaired archive, and find the file named _rebuilt.rar or _rebuilt.zip. This file is the repaired archive file you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back