Problem with the VHD feature [not solved]

Coolname007

Distinguished Member
Well, I just used Build 65 of EasyBCD to remove the two "Microsoft Windows" entries showing in EasyBCD (but not in the boot menu), which were created when I attempted to created a VHD entry for my virtual disk install of Win 7, and then I tried it again, once again pointing the entry at the "Win7.vhd" file on my hard drive, which contains Win 7, and naming the entry "Windows 7". But, this time, it showed just one entry (instead of two, like before) named "Microsoft Windows" in EasyBCD. So I rebooted, and that entry was not in the boot menu either. So, apparently, the problem is not solved...

Addendum:

Ok, in [post=43346]this post[/post],
someone with the same problem suggested running the following commands:

Code:
bcdedit /copy {current} /d "<Installation Name>"         
(make note of new guid output now)

bcdedit /set {newguid} device vhd=[Drive:]\<vhd location>
bcdedit /set {newguid} osdevice vhd=[Drive:]\<vhd location>
bcdedit /set {newguid} detecthal on
but unfortunately, i deleted (thinking i didn't need it anymore), the original Win 7 entry which the installer created, and so i can't copy it.
I guess I can try creating a normal Vista-type entry, naming it "Win 7", and then running the above commands on it...that may work. We'll see.

EDIT: Oh, and there was never any space in the file path to the virtual disk file, in my case. The path was simply C:\Win7.vhd. And the name of the entry I attempted to create (and which ended up creating two "Microsoft Windows" entries in EasyBCD, in a pre-65 build) was simply "Windows 7".

Last edited:
Weird. SIW2 has re-affirmed that build 65 fixed this very same issue for him.

Can you delete any entries made outside of EasyBCD, add a Windows 7 VHD entry with EasyBCD, then post the contents of "Detailed Mode" here?

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \bootmgr
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
resumeobject            {aa0d49a2-c6fa-11dd-a6a1-806e6f6e6963}
displayorder            {637a99df-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
                        {637a9a05-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
                        {637a99e5-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
                        {637a99f9-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
                        {637a9a11-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
                        {637a9a17-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 10

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {637a99df-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Microsoft Windows Vista
recoverysequence        {637a99e0-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {aa0d49a2-c6fa-11dd-a6a1-806e6f6e6963}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {637a9a05-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
description             Vista Safe Mode
loadoptions             DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
osdevice                partition=C:
resumeobject            {fd57cb42-0768-11de-957f-806e6f6e6963}
nx                      OptIn
pae                     Default
safeboot                Network
sos                     No
debug                   No

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {637a99f9-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
path                    \NTLDR
description             Microsoft Windows XP

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {637a9a17-c702-11dd-b2b9-82a022abb6b4}
device                  vhd=[C:]\Win7.vhd,locate=custom:12000002
description             Microsoft Windows
locale                  en-US
osdevice                vhd=[C:]\Win7.vhd,locate=custom:22000002
Addendum:

Well, hmm....I just went ahead and created another Vista type entry in EasyBCD (naming it "Win7"). I then ran the above commands on that entry, with the end result being 2 identical vhd entries showing up in the bcdedit output, except one is named "Microsoft Windows" (the first one I created, using the vhd option in EasyBCD), and the other one (the one created with the Vista option, and then modified with the above commands) is named "Microsoft Windows Vista" (even though I clearly specified "Win7" in the Name field). The naming thing appears to be a bug, for sure, at least...
Im going to go reboot again, and see if those 2 entries still do not show up in the boot menu.

Addendum:

Ok, I rebooted with both VHD entries still showing in EasyBCD (as well as the BCDEDIT output), but I encountered a screen saying there was a problem with an element in the object of one of the VHD entries, and so it couldn't display it. It gave me the option of hitting Enter to continue, which I did, and that brought me to the Vista boot menu, which showed only one of the VHD entries in it (the "Microsoft Windows Vista" one). This was the one I created as a Vista type in EasyBCD, and then modified with the above commands, and so the one I created using the VHD option in EasyBCD was still invisible.
So I went ahead, and selected the Microsoft Windows Vista entry, and hit Enter. The next screen was one giving me the options of starting Windows in safe mode, repairing my computer, and starting Windows normally. I selected "Start Windows Normally", and after this, Win 7 started to load, but after it got past the initial startup screen, it hit a BSOD, and the computer restarted.

So, obviously, there is a problem with my Win 7 startup, but I think its getting past the boot. That leads me to believe there is a problem with my Win 7. The weird thing is though, I only used Win 7 a few times, and I did practically nothing on it (I just installed a few programs, such as AVG, played around with the features a little bit, etc.), but this BSOD came out of nowhere. It came after using an earlier build of EasyBCD to adjust the physical boot order of the entries, in addition to changing the default from Win 7 back to Vista. Before this, Win 7 was working perfectly fine.

Oh well...typical Windows thing, I suppose. :wink: It stopped working for no reason, at all. I didn't modify anything in the system at all, didn't install any drivers, everything that I tested worked already (including my wireless card), so this is obviously a freak occurance. I'm tempted to reinstall it, but im sure the expiration date is long past, and it probably wont let me use it anyway.

Last edited:
Ok, sorry, I had it backwards. The entry showing up in my boot menu was the "Microsoft Windows" one, which was the one created in EasyBCD as a VHD entry, and the one that didn't show up was the other one (the "Microsoft Windows Vista" one) so I guess its working after all.
But, the naming thing is still obviously a bug...

Yes, there is a naming bug: all entries are called "Microsoft Windows" and if you attempt to change the name from "Change Settings" any spaces in the path will be corrupted.

This has been fixed, and can be tested in the next build... once I upload it :smile:

Addendum:

Please try EasyBCD build 76. It should have (finally) fixed this issue :smile:

Last edited:
Congrats! :smile:
It works. I deleted my old VHD entry, added a new one, naming it "Win7", and this time the name stayed, and didn't jump to "Microsoft Windows" without permission.

Looks like that bug is fixed!

Back