Problems getting Vista and XP to dual boot

:openmouth:
I now have my old installation of XP on C/ (where all my data is also held) and my new Vista on D/ Vista was installed on C/ with the XP HD removed. After the install I moved the XP HD back to C/ and moved Vista to D/

How can I used EasyBCD so that I get an option screen on boot to choose between the two OS?

I have been having a devil of a time trying to do this with a program called VistaBootPro. After installing the bootloader, Vista takes over my C/ drive where XP is supposed to be. I then lose access to it completely. SO far (for the past 3 days and I don't know how many attempts...5+?!?!?) I have not been able to get the two to cohabitate nicely together.

I switched the HDs and put Vista in C/ and XP in D/

I opened Vista and it immediately downloaded some driver for the XP HD. The XP HD then became F/

I went into easy BCD and added another OS, labeled it WINDOWS XP and set it on the F/ drive. These are the diagnostics that I got back.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {36073684-70d4-122d-86f4-f9615e8f4b6a}
displayorder {current}
{da5784e5-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
nx OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {da5784e5-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Microsoft Windows XP

Tried that and it did not work.
boot into XP, get error ntldr
boot into VISTA, sometimes I can get all the way in, sometimes I get kicked out after entering my password.

Tried turning off the internet connections, but VISTA still lists the XP HD as F/

what am I doing wrong here? Please help out. I cannot find any tutorials anywhere for easy BCD. Thanks

A couple questions....

Why do they keep putting the Legacy entry on C even though XP should be on D/

and for that matter, why does Vista kick the XP HD down to F/

Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies, SaminJapan

Yeah, we know about VistaBootPRO, we've had quite a few people come to us after finding that VBPRO screws up their PCs and fails to dual-boot as needed - but you don't have to worry about that any more, with EasyBCD, things should work just fine.

Vista kicks XP down to F because that's what Vista does - we're working on a fix, it should be out soon, but it's technically Microsoft's problem - but MS has said before they were relying on us to do what they didn't with EasyBCD, so we'll try to take care of it.

EasyBCD sets Windows XP and other non-Vista entries to the boot drive - they're *NOT* supposed to point to the drive that the OS is installed to but rather the drive with the BOOT folder.

Create a Windows XP entry with the DRIVE property set to drive C: - does that take care of the problem?

To get EasyBCD to boot XP:

Add an XP entry. The drive letter will automatically be set as the letter of the boot drive.
The boot drive should have a file called BOOT.INI with the normal config settings for an XP entry.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

If you still need help or are having trouble, post away, NST members are more than glad to help!
Good luck!

I copied the file boot.ini from the XP HD (F/) and placed it on the VISTA Boot HD (C/) Then I added a new OS through EASY BCD as follows
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
{da5784e7-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
nx OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {da5784e7-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Microsoft Windows

I get the option screen to boot from XP, but when I choose XP I still get the message of failed due to ntldr. Do I need to copy all of the boot files from F/ to C/ (boot.ini, NTDETECT.com, ntldr) ?? Waiting on your wisdom . Thanks as always for your guidance.
-Sam

copied the F/ ntldr folder into C/ as well and no longer get the ntldr error message when trying to boot from XP, but I just get kicked back to the OS choice page. Vista is the only option that loads.

adding NTDETECT.COM to C/ just causes the screen to go dark after choosing XP from the OS choice page
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
{da5784e8-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
nx OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {da5784e8-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr

OK, your XP is completely corrupted. This is a fix that's going to be incorporated in an upcoming version of EBCD:

Revert your data, files, and structure to the original.
Add a Vista entry. Change the drive to the drive that XP is installed on. Copy \Windows\System32\winload.exe from Vista to the same location on XP.
Add /USENEWLOADER to the boot.ini entry for XP.

Reboot.

See this thread for more info: http://neosmart.net/forums/index.php?gettopic=264

Computer Guru said:
OK, your XP is completely corrupted.
I'm in a similar position. One partitioned hard drive originally on XP Home now has Vista and Freespire Linux added. At first the Vista boot manager offerred me XP which then wouldn't run due to missing / corrupt files however EasyBCD fixed that for me.

My current problem is the when offered XP by the Vista boot manager it simply recycles me back to the Vista boot manager screen, looking very much like it thinks XP is where Vista actually is.

Through Grub I can directly boot any one of XP, Vista and Freespire however the XP/Vista option takes me to the Vista screen with the option of Vista or XP and this is where the problem above occurs.

Before adding Freespire / GRUB boot loader the Vista boot manager came up first with the same symptoms. I guess it all starts with MS wildly changing drive names :huh: >_<

So, what files or entries to I need to have where in order for Vista to send XP off on its way correctly. Let's describe it while sat in XP with XP on the C: drive and Vista on the F: drive.

C: has ntldr, boot.ini etc
F: has botmgr and the /BOOT directory

Running from XP :-

F:\Windows\System32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=F:
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {default}
displayorder {default}
{d2b28d04-b902-11db-ad28-001195c8bc7c}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {default}
device partition=F:
locale en-US
osdevice partition=F:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {fd438835-b8b2-11db-a847-a1fa7ab7e25e}
nx OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {d2b28d04-b902-11db-ad28-001195c8bc7c}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Windows XP

F:\Windows\System32>

Let me know what further info you need............

Phil

"Revert your data, files, and structure to the original."

:right: This sounds simple, but I have no idea what you are talking about here. What do you want me to do? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here. As always your help is MOST appreciated!

Add a Vista entry. Change the drive to the drive that XP is installed on. Copy \Windows\System32\winload.exe from Vista to the same location on XP.

Add /USENEWLOADER to the boot.ini entry for XP.
:right: does that literally mean adding the line /USENEWLOADER to the end of the boot.ini file as opened in notepad?

This is my boot.ini file from XP

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I should change to this???

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /USENEWLOADER

Thanks
-Sam

CG, send word when you get the time. I am waiting on an explanation of your last post so I can proceed. Tried to ask my friend, but he also did not know exactly what you meant. Please elaborate.
-Sam

Hey Everybody, sorry for the late reply, I'm out of the country on business.

SaminJapan, I meant you should literaly add /USENEWLOADER to the end of the boot.ini entry, exactly the way you wrote above.

As for your files, I mean keep your boot.ini file and ntldr, ntdetect, etc. all in the same place that they were before you started modifying your XP to work with Vista.

Phil, first, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies, and my apologies for the late reply.

You need to configure your boot.ini file for Windows XP, and place it in the "F:" drive (from XP's point of view)

Good luck!

OK here it goes....
added the line to the boot.ini file, removed boot.ini and ntldr from the VISTA HD (C/)
added a new OS to F/ (Windows XP)
reboot
error ntldr
readded the boot.ini (new one) and the ntldr to c/
removed and then readded new OS to F/ (Windows XP)
reboot
first option screen
Vista
Windows (select Windows)
second option screen
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Windows (default)
*** if I choose either of these options I am kicked back out to the initial option screen of Vista/Windows

:right: Was I right in changing the rdisk from 0 to 2 in my boot.ini since my XP drive is on SATA2??? Or should I have left it as rdisk 0
:down:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I should change to this???

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /USENEWLOADER

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
{da5784ea-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
nx OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {da5784ea-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr

:right: I have tried installing the new OS through Easy BCD onto both C/ and F/ both to the same result. It just kicks me back to the initial choice between Vista and Windows....

Waiting on your wisdom CG. Thanks as always.
-Sam

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 79
The boot.ini and ntldr files are all still in the same place they were. They have never moved. They were just copied and pasted into the C:/ folder.
why is it that when I try and add my XP OS HD as F:/ it always ends up being displayed as C:/
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
{da5784ef-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
nx OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {da5784ef-b968-11db-89dd-00123f6fc24d}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr

The only way you can add an XP OS is to set the drive letter to the one with the boot.ini, and that should be C:\ in your case.
If it's not, change the drive letter for XP manually from the "Configure Boot" screen.

This is getting out of hand.
It's a very simple process, but somehow the steps you took have messed up your boot process.

Delete everything except for Vista from the EasyBCD menu.
Repair install of XP. Repair install of Vista.
If the Vista boot menu doesn't have XP, post back and we'll add it - but it should, and everything should be OK then.

Back