RAM Memory in hard drive.

Hello,
Well, How are you doing folks? hope cool. Well> I am good and specially Easy BCD made me more cool :wink:

Well, i need help. I currently run a notebook of Acer Aspire with RAM of 512x2 MB so it means 1 GB . I wanted to know was is it possible that on my hard drive i reserve a particular size, 512MB for example. And use that as RAM memory. I mean that would be shown as 512MB is in Use. But that would be used as a RAM memory.. So it means I have 1GB and after that 512MB my system Progress increase and I get more better Progress.

Well, I use XP Professional and Vista Ultimate.

Help will be, very useful for me...

Thanks in Advance!

FAISAL SHAH

You mean something like a pagefile?

Well, yup. I meant that i reserve a particular MBS in my C: drive which will work same as RAM. I mean they will do some of RAM's work..

Did you got..
Well, Yup some thing like pagefile. But that works in Vista as well. And really effects on performance lol..

FAISAL!

Well for Vist you would use ReadyBoost which is a flash drive that acts as RAM and does some of its functions. But that is not available in XP. As far as using the Drive itself you would have to really just increase your pagefile. As that is pretty much what the pagefile is.

Thanks...
Well, your help was very helpful, I just red your message, Went to Carrefour and bought one Flash Drive of 4 GB!

Now I get this problem on the screen of Readyboost screen ;
FF0A9B90.png

Help me, with this please..

What is the solution of this, If there is no solution then tell me if there is any other alternative like we have got pagefile in XP.

Help please!

FAISAL!

Well you should have bought only a 2GB flahs drive for this. Also it would help if you got one that was already ReadyBoost enabled. When it comes to ReadyBoost you should only use a Flash drive that is double the size of your current RAM. Getting a 4GB Flash on a 1GB of RAM will not give you any performance boost. It will slow you down or as you see not work at all.

You can make the pagefile bigger in Vista just like you can in XP. Right click Computer (OR My Computer)>Properties>Advanced Tab>Performance section click Advance>Then in that Windows click Advance Tab again. Here you can see the pagefile settings. The max size is 4096. Which is 4GB worth of pagefile. Set that to max.

It would seem the Flash Drive you bought can't be used for Ready Boost.
What type of Flash did you get?
Normally the ones that work for Ready Boost would have a sticker on the front that says "Optimized for Windows Ready Boost"

Well you should have bought only a 2GB flahs drive for this. Also it would help if you got one that was already ReadyBoost enabled. When it comes to ReadyBoost you should only use a Flash drive that is double the size of your current RAM. Getting a 4GB Flash on a 1GB of RAM will not give you any performance boost. It will slow you down or as you see not work at all.

You can make the pagefile bigger in Vista just like you can in XP. Right click Computer (OR My Computer)>Properties>Advanced Tab>Performance section click Advance>Then in that Windows click Advance Tab again. Here you can see the pagefile settings. The max size is 4096. Which is 4GB worth of pagefile. Set that to max.

Well, Thanks. But this Pagefile will really effect on speed, Or it just like that ? LOL

FAISAL!

Pagefile's the same on Vista and XP (same name, same function) so you can point both systems at the same file (preferably on a second hard drive, separate from both OSs), then you don't need to tie up twice the space, (only one of which is used in each boot), so each system gets to use twice the space at no cost to you !

I've got 3-10Gb allocated for 2Gb RAM (recommended 3067Mb from Vista - 3072Mb min in use) but I'm not exactly thrashing memory at the moment. It's a bit different if a video editor is running.

Microsoft recommends a paging file 2x the size of your physical RAM.
But I'm not reserving 8GB of my HD for Windows to waste!

Imagine if one had 8GB of physical memory... you'd need an entire HD dedicated to the pagefile by Microsoft's reckoning!

Microsoft recommends a paging file 2x the size of your physical RAM.
But I'm not reserving 8GB of my HD for Windows to waste!

Imagine if one had 8GB of physical memory... you'd need an entire HD dedicated to the pagefile by Microsoft's reckoning!

Well,
I made my Pagingfile to be 2GB. 2.000MB.
AND MY RAM memory is 1 GB, hope it goes together!?

FAISAL!

What HD are you using CG ? I've got 1120Gb attached here. I wouldn't even notice 8 missing !

That was what one would call "slight exaggeration" of course.

I have a WD 150GB Raptor as my main drive (it's faaaaaaaaaaaast!!!!!) and 2x120GBs for data.

My museum piece, IBM Aptiva (W95) had a 800Mb HD, 75Mhz CPU and 16Mb memory when my dad bought it. It currently has the luxury of a gigantic 6Gb HD (has to be in 3 partitions so 95 can address it (them)) and 128Mb memory.
Thought you might be trying to run Vista on something similar !!

I had a laptop (HP Omnibook) with a 500MB hard drive... I recall using the "filesystem compression" feature to double the space (where the filesystem uses in-built zip compression for files stored on the drive) but ending up with a fourth of the performance or something....... those were the days :wink:

Back