Re: Windows Live Messenger (a.k.a. MSN) Crashing

delvin.friends

My Windows Live messenger keeps crashing repeatedly. The problem started one day when i was signing in, it showed me an error message. When i researched the error on the Interent, i found out that it was because of a Windows Update that was installed just the previous day by Windows Update.
before i did anything else, i reinstalled Messenger to see if it works, but unfortunately it didnt.
So to undo the update i went to control panel and clicked on "View Installed Update", but i couldnt find it mentioned there.
So i obviously thought of System restore because i hadnt recently installed any new programs.
I restored but it was unsuccesful, ever since, my messenger keeps stopping randomly, without any initiation from me.
It just stops respondng and then Windows Shows me the error message "Windows Live Messenger is not responding" and gives me the option to wait for the program to respond or "Close the program".
it happens more that 6 times in an hour. Very random.
Ive tried using alternatives like Omega Messenger and Trillian, but i dont like them as much as i did the MSN.
This has never happened before. MSN has never crashed before whenevr i used the pc and ive used it for hours at end without any problem.
my pc specs are as follows:
Windows Vista Home Premium
1 GB Ram

all replies welcome.

I know that MSN has been having issues lately with their servers. The reason i know is cause i get kicked off as well. As well as my MSN crashing. Give it a couple of days. Let them update the code and servers. they are doing a new Beta which is wrecking havoc on MSN right now.

WLM Crashes

I know that MSN has been having issues lately with their servers. The reason i know is cause i get kicked off as well. As well as my MSN crashing. Give it a couple of days. Let them update the code and servers. they are doing a new Beta which is wrecking havoc on MSN right now.

thanx for the help.

although for the error message bit, its a windows update problem , as i found out after a bit of google searching.
can u keep me posted on the developments of the servers using this thread, if you can i.e.

isnt the first time, windows update has caused problems. it has caused problems for AVG Firewall users who couldnt connect to the internet due to definiotion changes in Windows Update

thanx again.

I think your issue is that Windows update is trying to update your version of MSN. Version 8.5 is the most recent version. You are using 8.1 so WU is most likely trying to update your MSN. Which is causing this issue for you.

Do you have updates set to auto install or install on prompt? Did you check to see if MSN 8.5 was one of the updates?

thank you Makaveli213. you have been great help.
ive already got revo, but thanx for the link to msn 8.1
il tell you how it goes.
once again thank you.
Great help

IMO I've found that most newer versions of MSN Messenger crash a lot or are buggy. Both my son and I use older MSN Messenger versions. Can't remember which one, but version 7.something. Although I've never used it, Windows Messenger (a different type of MSN Messenger) is very unstable and buggy, as I've seen other friends who have tried to use it have a great many problems with their pcs when it is installed.

I've advised them to uninstall it and use an older MSN Messenger version.

Remember newer isn't always better.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts as well. I use the beta only cause i am a tester. But my other systems uses WLM 8.1 which is very stable compared to 8.5 and the Beta.

I have the newest beta, and it's very fast and very stable though I don't think it's as easy to use as previous versions. While it looks nice it is somewhat cluttered and awkward to interface with.

Back