Replacing grub2 with Windows 7 Bootloader

Hi,
My EasyBCD boot settings are as follows:
"
There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7 Home Premium
Timeout: 30 seconds
Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7 Home Premium
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8
BCD ID: {181d542e-2e50-11df-b44b-00247eedd441}
Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr

Entry #3
Name: Ubuntu Linux 10.10
BCD ID: {181d5434-2e50-11df-b44b-00247eedd441}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr
"

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 just yesterday. The installation went smoothly, but the bootloaders are bugging me. I tried following the instructions here, but the second step 4 doesn't work; selecting "Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR" and then clicking the "Write MBR" button still brings up the grub bootloader first on reboot; if I select Windows 7 from there, i am taken to the Windows 7 bootloader. How can I get the Windows bootloader to show up first on reboot, before the grub menu?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading!
gullu101 http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

Do you have multiple HDDs ?
Is the W7 "system" partition on the first in the BIOS boot sequence ?

The MBR will look on the "active" primary for the boot sector where it finds the next stage of the bootstrap process.
If you're sure that W7 is in a primary partition, that it's active, and that you reinstalled the Vista/7 boot, then that's what should be controlling the boot.
You don't have an AV program preventing the MBR being overwritten ?
Is there another W7 partition with the "system" flag ? (possibly called "system reserved")
If so, set that active and reinstall the Vista/7 bootmgr again.

Thanks for your help Terry, but it turns out EasyBCD wasn't actually writing the MBR to disk or something because it worked when I used the Command Prompt after booting into my Windows 7 CD and using the 'bootrec.exe /fixmbr' command. Now the Windows 7 Bootloader is first, and if I select the Ubuntu option it takes me to the grub menu (which is exactly what I was looking for :grinning:)
Thanks again
gullu101

Back