Restoring Windows 8 Graphical Style boot menu on multiboot system

tucker

I have a hard drive with three operating systems, a Win 7 as a "production" system, a Windows XP for legacy apps, and a new Win 8 for evaluation. After installing Windows 8 I had to use EasyBCD 2.2 to make some adjustments to the BCD (default system, wait time, order of display, etc). As a result of this edit, my Windows 8 graphical boot display was replaced with the old Win 7 textual boot menu.

I'd like to know how/if I can reactivate the Windows 8 graphical boot selection menu. I saw in one of the forums that using the bcdedit command /bootems {bootmgr} OFF or ON (as an administrator) may do it, but I've had no luck with the command. Is there some switch in the bcd that triggers the boot manager to load the Windows 8 graphical screen rather then the old reliable Windows 7 text style? Is it a function of which boot manager, Windows 7 or Windows 8, was last written to the MBR?

Thanks for any clues on resolving this question.

That does not answer the question! I also have the same problem. I set up EasyBCD in windows 8. Later, I made the mistake of pressing the "save" button in EastBCD during an edit of the boot information. That causes the pre-Windows-8 boot menu to be loaded into the system. My question is the same as Tucker's question. How do undo that mistake and get back the windows 8 style boot *graphical* boot menu. As an aside to the EasyBCD staff reading this, that button is misplaced or not properly dealt with -- there should be a warning come up that this will happen. Or better yet, add some more code to cause this not to happen when the save button is pressed. Otherwise, thanks for a very useful product!

Thank you Rodion, that worked for me. I was running dual boot Win 7 & Ubuntu on a dual HDD laptop. I installed Win 8 Pro over the Ubuntu OS and was enjoying my Win 8 metro boot screen, only I got tired of seeing my 3rd option of the uninstalled Linux option to boot into, so I removed it using easyBCD 2.2, clicked save, rebooted and poof gone, back to black and white win 7 boot manager. I found this thread and followed Rodion's instructions. I booted into Win 8 > opened easyBCD > Selected "Useful Utilities" > Selected "EasyBCD Power Console" > ran command bcdboot c:\windows > I then rebooted and was pleasantly surprised to see my Win 8 Metro boot screen. Hope this helps others. Thanks again!

Thank you rodion, this worked for me too!
I have applied the command "bcdedit /set {current} bootmenupolicy standard" withoutany result.
But your string works fine!
Thanks again!

Guys, just a note: be aware that running bcdboot resets all settings for the current Windows entry in the BCD. Some specially-configured Windows entries can result in a second (duplicate) Windows entry appearing in the menu after running bcdboot, EasyBCD can fix that.

Finally something worked. One weird glitch- win would not shut down after, without killing power/ kept coming back up in seconds, had me worried but rebooted fine.

Back