Script to enable renaming of optical drives ?

Computer Guru said:
I did this manually on my PC (Vista x86 Ultimate) and it worked:

1. Create \HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\DriveIcons [type: key]
2. Create \explorer\DriveIcons\LETTER [type: key] (e.g. F)
3. Create \DriveIcons\LETTER\DefaultIcon [type: key]
4. Create \DriveIcons\LETTER\DefaultLabel [type: key]
5. Change the value of \DriveIcons\LETTER\DefaultLabel\(Default) to the name you want.
6. Close & Reboot.

Hope that helps.
CG...what's number 3 for? It seems to be superfluous sitting there on its own.

What's with this board...been down most of the weekend?

#3 is to set the icon - just as the other key is for the label.
I like to be technically correct, and this is the "recommended structure" by MS.

As for the board, well, Slashdot can do that my friend. We've been slashdotted multiple times, but this was the worst one yet. Maybe because it was a topic many people are passionate about? I've never seen a company as hated as Norton/Symantec.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/we-love-you-rinbot/

Every time I get the server back up from a heavy-load knock-out, it get's punched right back down. Should be OK now though.

Computer Guru said:
#3 is to set the icon - just as the other key is for the label.
I like to be technically correct, and this is the "recommended structure" by MS.

As for the board, well, Slashdot can do that my friend. We've been slashdotted multiple times, but this was the worst one yet. Maybe because it was a topic many people are passionate about? I've never seen a company as hated as Norton/Symantec.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/we-love-you-rinbot/

Every time I get the server back up from a heavy-load knock-out, it get's punched right back down. Should be OK now though.
Symantec? Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I use McAfee myself, not much better in some peoples' opinion but works OK for me.

Thanks.

Software-wise, I don't personally think McAfee is any better - but as far as policies & politics go, they're definitely great.

Back when Symantec was Norton I would have said that they were great...but it all changed. The only Norton product I still keep onboard (in XP) is Partition Magic 8.

All the top ones seem these days to be increasingly resource hogs except, I'm told, Kaspersky.

I moderate the McAfeeHelp Forums so I know all the problems, believe me. But at least I don't have to pay for my protection!

that's why i use NOD32, it's the lightest of them all.
It updates several times a day (checks every 30 min.) and updates are very very tiny (10-30 kb)
it uses close to no memory or CPU, and has the best heuristic detection i've seen in an AV program. it's a subcribtion-based software, there is no new version every year or anything.

http://nod32.com/

Oh, and BTW, PartitionMagic isn't a Norton product either. It's PowerQuest Partition Magic, bought out by Norton, re-badged (no code changes, only name), and re-distributed.

I actually can't think of a single product that Norton bought and continued.
Partition Magic, LC5, Roxio GoBack, SyGate... did they actually continue to produce any of them?

Back