Server 2008 Questions....

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
So i have gone and downlaoded and installed Server 2008. I think i have enabled the correct things to get Aero on.

Desktop Experience
Quality Windows Audio Video Experience

Is that correct? I am just downloading and installing the Video Drivers and Audio drivers now. I see that almost everything identifies this as Vista 32 Bit. Which is good. I will test out much of my software and see how it works. So far the performance is great. I just hope to get Aero....

Addendum:

Well i figured out how to get Aero working. For those who want to know. After you isntall those 2 services from the Server Managment setup. You have to enable Themes within the Services console. Since this is Server 2008 just go Start>Administrative Tools>Services.

Set Themes to Auto run and start the service. This will allow you to choose Aero. Then go about and make Server 2008 look like Vista. :grinning:

So now i am off to isntall all my software. So far everything is working great. Had to figure out how to enable my sound as well. Server 08 doesnt start sound either...

Addendum:

Well so far i have gotten all my software to work except 3 applications.

Windows Live Messenger
Windows Live Mail
Anti-Virus

Since this is Server 2008 i am not that worried about a virus anytime soon. I might have to pick up a Server AV...any good suggestions?

The Messenger i got Pidgin installed and working that is no big deal. But i really would have liked Live Mail. It was my email client. Using Outlook 2007 now. But it was also my Newgroup application. Now i need to find something to go to those with.

Other than that. Great so far.

Last edited:
Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Desktop can be installed by running the wl-installer program on a Vista machine, then copying the .msi file created in temporary folders to your 2k8 machine and running it there. Used that for Windows Live Writer and it worked great.

Anti-Virus... you'll have to use NOD32 2.x (not 3.0, but still maintained) or else shell out for a server version of any other AV. I don't see why you wouldn't be worried about viruses on Server 2008 (assuming you're using it as a desktop), because it's susceptible to all the Vista viruses out there as well.

I'd recommend using Thunderbird or Opera for reading NGs.

Sadly i dont have a Vista install that i can get that from. Ohh well. I might be able to do it since my XP install crashed....

I aint worred cause even when running Vista with a AV i haev not gotten 1 prompt about a virus threat. That was with Avast Free edition. I will install NOD32 just to have some protection.

I found that Windows Mail (The old OE) can do newsgroups. So i just got that setup.

If you have an XP install anywhere, you can do the same steps from there.
I personally think WM is a great NG client, it's very fast.,

That is what i am seeing. Since i have email covered, all except my @hotmail and @live emaill addresses...

I will stick with Outlook and Mail. IT seems to be working. The IM thing isnt that big a deal. I dont IM much. Not much time...:tongueout:

Back