Slow to boot

Bert_987

Is there a setting i can change to correct/change the boot for win xp and Ubuntu?
As a boot manager is this a time thing or something?

I notice that it would take a some time to load i thought it was just me, but win xp progress bar would cycle no more then 4 time before window welcome screen pop up after i install Easybcd it now cycles 15 time before the welcome screen, A couple of day ago i was playing with Gpart in Linux and messed up win xp so i disconnected other drive and re-installed xp and updates and all programs and defragged the drive and ccleaner back to a cycle time back to 4 cycles. (GOOD) But now i connected all drives and now back to 15 cycle once i re install xp to the easybcd menu.( i used the f12 feature still at 4 cycle before easybcd)

I have win 7 on a ssd, Xp on a raid-0 Two 10,000 rpm Wd drives and Ubuntu on a standard sata drive. The only drives that is slow down is the win xp and Ubuntu. The ssd is has not been affected still fast

I really like easybcd it is a lot easier the having to remember to hit F12 to pick boot drive

Thank you Bert_987

The process of starting your PC can be summarized as follows

1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition. (or chains NTLDR for XP).
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

EasyBCD takes no part in any of this.
It runs, if and when you execute it, during a Windows session to make changes to the Vista/7 BCD.
Those changes take effect at the next boot and are all in "2" above. It's the W7 bootmgr that's doing it, not EasyBCD. EasyBCD was merely a tool to tell bootmgr where to locate things.

The XP progress bar (or Vista), and the W7 animated Windows logo, indicate that you've reached "3", and that anything you did to influence bootmgr with EasyBCD has finished.

"2" will take longer (marginally) because it involves bootmgr > NTLDR compared with F12 going directly to NTLDR, and has to present you with a menu and await your choice, but any delay in "3" onwards is not due to anything influenced by EasyBCD.

Presumably XP is taking longer to locate and load its drivers in that configuration, but I can't think why offhand.
The detailed explanation of the process is here
Windows On/Off Transition Performance Analysis
if you'd like to read that and look for a cause.

Multibooters, Vista Dual and Multibooting - A Guide to the Multiboot Process
is good background reading on the 1-2 phase.

Addendum

afterthought.

How did you set up XP in EasyBCD ?
please post the contents of EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed mode)

Last edited:
Just some helpful visualizations from Windows XP - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

4885306184_3ed0b23fb1_o.png

4884705007_791be1f92d_o.png

Back