Small Detail

djnzlab1

HI,
very new to win7 and didn't under stand the partitions, it looks alittle like linux, wonder if they borrowed some ideas.
The one really important concept to grasp for me was never try to install the easybcd to the primary hard drive if its win7 , win7 dosent seem to need or use a boot loader.
When I changed cmos boot order to drive B and didn't mess with win7 everything worked flawlessly, the easybcd new how to kick start 7 from the second hard drive that loaded first.
My only problem now is my OEM copy of XP was keyed to my old mother board, So i have the dreaded count-down to use. T-29 days,,,:S
Thanks for a wonderful product. It will work with win7 just dont try and load it to the first partition as we do with Grub or that other boot loaded. Cause it will kill win 7.
PS that back up copy of win7 and trouble-shooting disk can re-load or fix the boot function of win7 easily. So be sure to make up those back up copies before messing with updates on a new PC. Theres a reason it reccomended at start up. PS never format the entire hard drive you'll mess up the auto back up feature in xp.
Or you'll be buying a back-up restore program from the PC Vender...:nerd:

EasyBCD is not the bootloader.
It's an app for configuring the Vista/7 BCD, which is the data store for the MS boot manager.
Windows 7 will place its boot manager (and the BCD) in an existing Windows "system" partition if it sees one when you Install it.
That's default MS behaviour and has absolutely nothing to do with EasyBCD.
Windows 7 both needs and uses a bootloader. It's called winload.exe and lives in the system32 subfolder of Windows. It's chained by the W7 bootmanager using information in the BCD to locate it.
The latter files can be almost anywhere on your system depending on how you manage the installation process.
Have a read of the first link in the sticky thread for details of how the boot works, how the separate W7 manager and loader differ from XP's combined manager/loader NTLDR, and how the 2 are used in combination.

Thanks

HI,
will try an read all that info,
thanks for the quick response , things seem to be changing very quickly when
moving from xp to win 7,
I guess thats why so many people are clinging to their XP and trying to Dual boot.
Not to mention many of the older software don't seem to play nice in Virtual XP.
Doug
Thanks

Back