[SOLVED] Windows 7 'Flying Logo' gone.

Snapafun

To-night I tried to update to EasyBCD 2.0.1 and had my problems.

The first problem was my own doing ~ I have Vista (EasyBCD Installed), Windows7 and PCLos installed and with EasyBCD installed on the Vista partition I had everything working fine ~ until I tried to update on the Windows 7 partition. As said, my goof.

Upon installing PCLos and sure I had NOT installed Grub to the MBR I still got the Grub boot loader and upon selecting Vista was then dropped to EasyBCD which allowed me to select and boot into Windows 7.

After updating EasyBCD I tried to reset everything and ended up in a mess. To shorten things here, I got into Vista and while still running EasyBCD 1.7.2 was able to sort things out nearly perfectly.

Nearly being that when I select my now default OS ( Windows 7 ) I get to see the usual Microsoft Corporation progress bar BUT I now do not get to see the Flying Logo so suspect that something is not loading correctly here.

My entries appear correct within EasyBCD and I have left it on the Vista Install at present.

Anyone with any ideas on this?

Need more info? Just ask please.

Thanks for the prompt reply Terry60 but it was with an issue with EsyBCD2.0.1 that this problem came into being. With EasyBCD1.7.2 ( note - it is installed on my Vista OS ) I did not have this problem. Though I'm back to where I started this problem has come into being so I need to understand which files EsyBCD points to so that I can get the Windows 7 bootup sorted before I attempt another update.

I'm aware that I'll need to un-install EasyBCD from the Vista Partition for me to succeed with installing EasyBCD2 on Windows 7 and will go down this track BUT there is obviously something awry with the Windows 7 boot files for me to have lost the Flying Logo ~ so what else might be wrong ~ need to clear this up before I attempt any boot loader installation on Windows 7.

More info. Using a Toshiba L500D laptop ~ Clean install of all OS and the Toshiba Recovery partitions are still in place. ( Not sure I can trust them and have never used them.)

Basically, to install EasyBCD2 on Windows 7 what files MUST be present on that OS partition before the installation will become successful?

Hmmm... Good question. I'm loathe to try it on the Vista OS Partition until I've sorted Windows 7 out but I see no reason for it failing happen I first of all un-install EasyBCD1.7.2 all the while within Vista of course.

I know that it spat the dummy when I tried to use it in Windows 7 even after I un-installed 1.7.2 there. ( I understand that 1.7.2 was using the files from the Vista partition whilst running in Windows 7 ~ whatever, up till the update attempt I had had no problems.)

I will be prepared to try it in Vista but as said, I would like to get the file issue understood within Windows 7 first.

I do have a backup option if required ~ I'll simply use the PCLos LiveCD and install Grub until I get things cleaned up elsewhere ~ I just don't see any benefit in doing that at present.

Just a quick note to let you know that I'm paying attention. I've installed EasyBCD on Win7 and am about to do a reboot though I'm concerned that I cannot find the relavant files on the Win7 partition/installation.

What I mean, is that the Vista partition has a \Boot folder that is populated with many folders and files whereas the Win7 partition did not have a \Boot folder. Trusting EasyBCD2 this time round, ( It did not go weird on me like the first time ), I'm about to reboot and see how things work this time.

Before doing that I'ld thought I'ld put here the MBR stuff gleaned from BCDEdit as a reference to recovering things later should that be required and hopefully show those following this thread exactly where I'm at.

My System before the reboot:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
{e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
{b2f02082-a754-11de-a37a-00190e02f2d4}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Win 7
locale en-US
bootdebug No
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {75fe173c-9579-11df-b59f-806e6f6e6963}
nx OptIn
pae ForceDisable
sos No
debug No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
bootdebug No
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx OptIn
pae ForceDisable
sos No
debug No

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {b2f02082-a754-11de-a37a-00190e02f2d4}
device partition=L:
path \NST\nst_grub-004FBB3155AEADF77A8E4C80FDF16D00.mbr
description PCLos

C:\Windows\system32>

If you install new vista/7 systems, they will not add new boot files on their own partition(s) unless the install is completely independent (you disconnect the existing system(s) before installing).
MS Windows boot philosophy is "when installing, put boot files on the existing "system" partition".
This is essential for the automation of the dual-boot during setup. (they didn't know EasyBCD would come along to make it easy regardless).
This means that if you install XP then Vista then W7, the bootmgr and boot\BCD will be on the XP partition by default.
You installed W7 after Vista so it just added itself to Vista's pre-existing BCD.
Editing that BCD with Easy1.7 (written before the birth of W7) regressed the start screen to the Vista style.
2.0 supports W7 and will give you the animated screen back by simply doing the W7 entry again.

Thanks for that Terry60 ~ I got there before I got your reply but think that your reply says it correctly to allow viewers here understand what is going on.

And with that I declare this thread ' resolved ' because on rebooting my system after having used EasyBCD2 in Windows7 I now have my regular Windows 7 startup back in place and all things are back to working correctly.

Thanks to the folk from NeoSmart for a great assistant in EasyBCD.

PS. Note that Windows 7 and PCLos are BOTH on logical partitions so where I've read here that Windows must be installed on Primary partitions seems to be incorrect.

Addendum:

Not sure how to declare a thread resolved here yet so hoping this will do it.

Last edited:
*Windows* doesn't need to be on a primary partition, but the bootloader does. The partition with BOOTMGR and the BCD is most definitely primary on your machine.

The MBR code in the IPL searches the partition table for the "active" flag as the location to search for the boot manager.
Only primary partitions can be active.
Windows 9x/ME had to be on the first primary to boot.
From XP onwards any primary will do for the boot files, and the OS can be elsewhere.

Back