stop: 0x0000007B after replacing motherboard of Inspiron 1720

My Dell Inspiron 1720 wasn't charging anymore so I replaced the motherboard. But when I start Windows Vista, I get a blue screen with the stop: 0x0000007B error.
I tried to change in the BIOS from AHCI to ATA, this allowed the laptop to start Windows, but after Windows has started, it is rebooting for no reason. I could start it in Safe Mode successfully.
What should I do? I'm happy that my laptop is charging now but I'm blocked with this blue screen.

If it's a motherboard upgrade, rather than a direct like for like replacement, then the chipset drivers will be absent from the Vista installation.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316401 (XP example but same problem)
If Vista came pre-installed with your old mobo, then it will be an OEM licence and you will not be able to run it on the new mobo under the terms of the EULA.
If you have a full-retail version of Vista with a DVD, you could reinstall, or try an "upgrade in place".
It might be a good time to grab a copy of W7 while you can still get one and upgrade Vista before you're forced down the W10 route.
(W7 is a distinct improvement on Vista, without being sufficiently different to cause you any grief, unlike W8 which is a dog's breakfast)

Last edited:
I replaced the motherboard with the same model of motherboard. That was my first motherboard replacement. I didn't think about motherboard upgrade, that's not my main concern but I would be curious to know how to find an upgraded motherboard for a specific laptop.
Anyway, I did the manual fix described by Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 . It solved the problem and removed the blue screen. But now, Windows Vista reboot during Windows startup. If I start in Safe Mode, it does not reboot. I did a Vista Startup repair. I did a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials (but I couldn't update the virus definition in safe mode). I cleared the CMOS. I ordered a new CMOS battery, I should receive it in a few days. But because it doesn't reboot in safe mode, I don't think that the problem comes from the CMOS battery. What do you think? I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall Vista and everything else, because it takes a lot of time.

If it's a motherboard upgrade, rather than a direct like for like replacement, then the chipset drivers will be absent from the Vista installation.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316401 (XP example but same problem)
If Vista came pre-installed with your old mobo, then it will be an OEM licence and you will not be able to run it on the new mobo under the terms of the EULA.
If you have a full-retail version of Vista with a DVD, you could reinstall, or try an "upgrade in place".
It might be a good time to grab a copy of W7 while you can still get one and upgrade Vista before you're forced down the W10 route.
(W7 is a distinct improvement on Vista, without being sufficiently different to cause you any grief, unlike W8 which is a dog's breakfast)

It's possible that even a like-for-like mobo might have a newer chipset if the original PC is much older (as I assume, if it came with Vista).
Does Device Manager show any yellow "!" symbols ?
If so force a driver update (online) for anything affected, from safe mode.

Back