The Introduction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

Hi,
My name is Sven Sorensen, I live in Denmark, born in 1955.
I'm a systems programmer (in my case Systems Admin and programmer) in an airline and have been woking with IT all my grow-up life. Yes, I've even used punched cards :wtf:

Brgds
Sven

Hey Sven!

We have a bunch of people here from the good old punch card days (I'm not one, though!)

Great to have you onboard.

Favourite game as an Op in the early 70's, playing "freak the programmer".
First find a prog who keeps asking for priority and hand delivers his card box instead of putting it through the proper channels.
He must also be sloppy, and neglect putting sequence numbers (cols 72-80).
Step 1. set up the card reader by inserting a blank card to wedge back the "catcher" pawl
step 2. take the card box from his hands at the m/c room door.
step 3. swap boxes with a set of blank cards between the door and appearing again at the glass wall.
step 4. stick "his" program in the hopper, give him a thumbs-up, walk to the console and start the reader task.
step 5. adopt a position of "distracted and busy" with back turned on reader
step 6. watch from corner of eye as prog climbs the glass wall screaming in terror, whilst "his" unsequenced cards fountain in a twenty foot arc and flutter across half an acre of m/c room.

Hi everyone I'm a newbie on neosmart.net .... in advance thank you all...
question:
I have windows 7 and I want to install windows xp as well.. do I need the easybcd 2.1 in order to have dual booting?

hi
name's nick
machine broke, which is what brought me here.
am a physician, worked with computers in my medical office 30+ years, wrote some own software, work with a company currently with a certified EMR system.
work with encryption, have used WinMagic/Securedoc for complette system encryption, now testing Truecrypt for booting encryption
machines in operation winxp, win vista, win 7, sp1, etc, etc, etc

am reaching point of exhaustion in trying to maintain all this stuff, deal with weekly updates of windows, java, adobe, firefox, etc, etc, etc

and NOW my hibernation breaks, a dn problem with bcdedit, etc.....

anyway, nice to meet everyone

Hi everybody!
I'm Marcus from Europe, graduating in Engineering, quite a geek... :smile:
I'm 100% new to EasyBCD, but I hope to learn quickly!

Hey Marcus-underscore, welcome to the forums :smile:

EasyBCD isn't too hard to learn, and we're here should you have any questions.

Hi all,
Im an old gamer who likes to tinker on PCs & found your site today. Looks v friendly & some real nuggets of info to be found.
I used to Scuba dive as a hobby but gave it up after ear damage & the loss of one of my diving buddies in a deep water accident some years ago.
Ive used Linux on & off since 1997 and enjoy gaming. :smile:

Hey jimjam, welcome to the forums.

I've always wanted to learn to scuba dive myself! (though I'm sorry to hear about your friend, of course.)

I wanted to donate thru paypal, but I want to go to paypal directly, not be directed there. Can you give me an address to use in paypal to donate to you. You software saved me time and I am grateful.

Thank you

rickrickard

Hi and thanks !

Thanks, Mahmoud, for the great EasyBCD utility ! [ As soon as I get my next job, I will contribute !!]
I just put in Win7 and XP64, into my i7-930 computer, and EasyBCD is a big help with a triple boot to those and Linux !
I've been using this site's instructions -
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Forums
I did get some trouble running EasyBCD under XP-64b, when adding Win7 to the boot menu. I used the Advanced menu, which seemed to help find the right disk partition.
But now I will use the Beta 2.1 version + the XP-WIn7 dual boot forum here, to make that better, I think, since now XP64 doesnt boot from the menu. No problem!- I should learn how this works!

I didn't realize WIn7 changed the boot process !- I have been avoiding VISTA like the plague... It has no UP button on File Explorer ! It is pure evil !!! haha
Win 7 seems much kinder to XP users than Vista.

I do electronics, designing hardware boards, and firmware, and compiling FPGAs + software-
So I like a real fast computer, and the i7-930 with 8 processor cores at only $199 from Micro Center, plus a new Asus USB3 mobo the P6X58D Premium, seems great so far!!

On the USB3, I stuck a SATA-3G/s HDD disk in a USB3 HDD "toaster" socket, and xferred ~ 330 GBytes in only 1 hour! - it was going to take 4 hours on
USB 2.0 !! The USB3 toaster is only $25 bucks ! at Micro Center. (no I am not an employee LOL!)
Lots of the USB3 cables and stuff are avail cheeeep on Ebay -- FLash mem sticks are also avail.
I get up to ~ 45 MB/sec xfer rate on 1G ethernet from the i7 to my old Ath64x2 computer. Thats ~ 450 Mbits/s I assume, so thats OK.

BTW, now the i7-950 CPU is a better deal, its come down to $249 or so. It is at the price performance point, I think.

So, thanks for the warm reception, and I hope to send a contribution soon !
If anyone has a hardware or electronics digital/analog question, I might be able to help.
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, New here, to the site and board anyway. Live in Idaho, USA--it is stunningly beautiful in most of the state. Snowed yesterday, at the 2000-foot level; not exactly a harbinger of Spring! Yet the flower bulbs are still pushing the earth, so the seasons are moving on.

I'm a retired professor who taught tech and society topics, radio news, and public broadcasting (pls., no comments about public broadcast funding!). Worked in radio in San Diego before that.

Just wanted to intro myself. I've been meaning to do backups and recovery discs, so this site has already been helpful to me. I've never dl'd via torrents, so I''m a bit cautious on that. I have many instructions at my fingertips here!

Thanks

Hey piano, quick question: there's a difference between public broadcasting and normal broadcasting in terms of what one would study?

Hello All

Just a quick hi ya'all and I hope all of you are well. Like most of the rest of you, it's trouble that brought me here, and persistence to succeed at multi booting that made me think joining would be a good idea. I've been patiently smoking and installing and reading all I could about it and why Vista wouldn't work with XP on a partitioned HDD, until I read all the help here, this is a great place for detailed info. I've yet to test out my latest attempt at fixing my errors, so wish me luck then I'm off to get some needed sleep, or the shop for more nicotine, not sure which yet. Good night/Day all. See you another time.

Gremlin20

Hello,

New user of BCD and a quick search on troubleshooting BCD brought me to these forums. Happy to have found you :smile:

Now, off to post my problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back