ToolTipFixer: explorer freezes after Win unlock

J-Pro

Good afternoon dear NeoSmart support!

I've a problem and it started just after I installed ToolTipFixer. I always use Win+L to lock my session if I go somewhere. And after I come back(5-6 minutes) and enter my password to unlock my Windows session, explorer freezes for 1-2 minutes. I can't yet provide you a screenshot, but it's like:

1. All the taskbar is grey with empty regions(instead of application tabs, clock and Start button).
2. Win+R, Ctrl+Esc doesn't work, so I can't access Run or Start menu.

I have the same situation at home and at work.

I use Windows XP SP2 (x86 at work and x64 at home).
I use ToolTipFixer.exe with size 61952 bytes and modification date 20.08.08 23:54.

P.S.: Thank you very much for this program, it really helps me with the toltips, but explorer freezing is a little boring...

Addendum:

Here are the screenshots:

1. If active application was left MyEclipse IDE:

2. If active application was left FAR Manager:

3. If active application was left notepad:

So after I unlock the comp(even after 10 seconds after locking - just checked), I see this picture. Alt+TAB works well, all applications work, but I can't access the taskbar and Start menu.

If I kill explorer.exe process, and rerun it again - the taskbar is normal, of course. BUT till the next lock of the computer.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mak, he's trying to uninstall it... not install the newest version. Apparently there's a bug somewhere. Anyway, give system restore a shot, perferably to a time before TTF was installed if possible.

From what i understand he is getting issue with Explorer Freezing while using TTF. Uninstalling it is simple. Just remove it with the uninstaller provided. From what i gather he is trying to see if this is a bug with TTF causing Explorer to freeze or something else.

From what i understand he is getting issue with Explorer Freezing while using TTF. Uninstalling it is simple. Just remove it with the uninstaller provided. From what i gather he is trying to see if this is a bug with TTF causing Explorer to freeze or something else.
You're absolutely right!

About your link... I already use this version(as you can see from the size and date of exe file, mentioned above).

Where is the author of the program? :smile: I really want to know his opinion, or at least to hear the other users - do you face the same problem?

I dont face the same problem. I have forced my computer to Lock with Win+L and have yet to experience this issue you talk about. Computer Guru is the creator of the software. Sadly he is a very busy man.

He is still working on 2 seperate software packages to be released at some point in the future along with life, work and all that other stuff. So he doesnt get to visit often cause he is busy. But i will see if i can get his attention for ya.

I've a problem and it started just after I unstalled ToolTipFixer.

Ok, that bit threw me off a bit, but I don't think uninstalling software should cause an issue like that. Until CG can help you, really all we can say is to either download the latest version or resort to a system restore point.

I've understood what I've wrote wrong in my first post... It was meant as "after I INstalled ToolTipFixer" instead of "unstalled". Just my mistype. Sorry for that. (too bad I can't edit previous posts to correct the main one)

You can, just not after several days have passed :smile:

Sorry for the lack of activity recently, I simply haven't enough hours in the day to keep up with everything these days...
Work (research & development in C), School (5 different term projects, and midterms coming up), life, and NST (believe it or not, several programs are 100% finished and just sitting around waiting for me to publish them) are just too much to fit everything in as nicely as I would like.

Back to the problem at hand:

ToolTipFixer's source code is very, very simple. All it does is take all on-screen dialogs of type Tooltip and make them show on top of anything else.

I highly doubt TTF2 is causing your problem - most likely its (correct) behavior is conflicting with incorrect behavior from another program on your system.

There may be a way to find out:
Boot into SafeMode, and do Start -> Run -> Services.msc <ENTER>
Find "ToolTipFixer" and run it.

Lock your PC, unlock it, and see if the problem still occurs.

It is a 24 hours period. IF you come back thru out the day you should still be able to edit the posts. vB keeps track of when you log in and all that. So it can most certainly keep track thru SQL queries or something else on when you can edit a post.

It's really simple, as Mak says, vB does something like this:

Code:
if current_time < post_time + 12 hours
    show the edit button

Currently it's set to disable editing after 12 hours.

Ahh. Well you have it setup differently than some of the other sites i am on. Most of them have 24 hours. nice to know you have it for 12.

But doesnt allpy to me. Being a Mod has some privledges. :smile:

Thanks everybody for your help. These things "automagically" stopped to happen...

Dear Computer Guru, thanks again for your tool. And if you say that the tool is so simple - then it really should not leave such consequences. I'll write here if I'll notice the other reason of this explorer behavior.

Back