Triple boot (Win10, Win7 and Linux)

killerbot

Hi,
I'd like to install Windows 10 on a triple boot with Windows 7 and Linux (Ubuntu). GRUB (Linux) is installed on the Ubuntu partition and Windows 7 is my primary OS. (Windows 7 bootloader is used).
If I install Windows 10, can I use EasyBCD 2.3 Beta to add Linux entry ?
If I want to remove Windows 10, how can I restore the Windows 7 bootloader ?
Thank you :wink:

Triple boot Win10 Win7 and Linux

Hi,My triple boot OSX, XP and Ubuntu is working fine for quite a while now. I would like to replace the XP with Win7 , if possible. Anybody has experience of doing this ? I have win7 installed on another hard drive and am wondering if one could clone the Win 7 partition onto the triple boot XP partition. It would screw up the boot loader I suspect. DenisM

According to what I have read:Install Win 7, then Win 10, then Linux.You must use Win 10 to boot 7. (Win 7 BCD won't recognize Win 10)You could use EasyBCD to add Linux to Win 10 but I would just use GRUB and use that to boot Win 10. (Whenever I try to boot Linux using EasyBCD's GRUB4DOS it just crashes to the grub> prompt, as the Linux I was using uses GRUB 2 and EasyBCD seems to use a modified version of Grub4DOS which is legacy GRUB 0.97? Still trying to figure all of that out).Win 10 MUST have fast boot disabled unless you know what you are doing.EDIT: Oh, and disable the Metro bootloader unless you want Win 10 to load halfway before you can select Win 7.

@killerbot: Yup, no problem

@buster: You would install Windows 7, then install EasyBCD and add entries for the other two OSes.

I am trying to triple boot Windows 7/Zorin/Linux Mint Mate --- using easy BCD- when the boot screen comes up all three are listed,but if I select either Linux OS, all I get is Zorin- All 3 are on separate primary partitions but only Win 7 and Zorin will boot- any suggestions?? Comments welcome-

Hi,
I'd like to install Windows 10 on a triple boot with Windows 7 and Linux (Ubuntu). GRUB (Linux) is installed on the Ubuntu partition and Windows 7 is my primary OS. (Windows 7 bootloader is used).
If I install Windows 10, can I use EasyBCD 2.3 Beta to add Linux entry ?
If I want to remove Windows 10, how can I restore the Windows 7 bootloader ?
Thank you :wink:
Are you using the Tech Preview of Win 10? if so, it is only an upgrade,and win7 or 8 has to be present-

I am trying to triple boot Windows 7/Zorin/Linux Mint Mate --- using easy BCD- when the boot screen comes up all three are listed,but if I select either Linux OS, all I get is Zorin- All 3 are on separate primary partitions but only Win 7 and Zorin will boot- any suggestions?? Comments welcome-
This is similar to what I got when I tried to boot several different .ISO files -- no matter what I select, it just boots FalconFour's instead of Hiren's, Hiren's Rebuild, or Win XP Setup .ISO

Perhaps check the Visual BCD Editor from the link below and see what exactly is created for each entry? Do be careful though, treat it like the registry editor.

http://www.boyans.net/

This is similar to what I got when I tried to boot several different .ISO files -- no matter what I select, it just boots FalconFour's instead of Hiren's, Hiren's Rebuild, or Win XP Setup .ISO

@jr2 Is that under 2.3 beta? I recall a bug like that a long time ago due to a ANG issue.

Yes. I have to try the latest build though. Might have something to do with Windows and GRUB4DOS seeing the partitions differently? I dunno.

EDIT: It would help if I knew where GRUB4DOS got its configuration (where to look for the HD / Partition / file it's supposed to boot).... I'm assuming that it's in the AutoNeoGrub{x}.mbr file? I'd have to hex edit it then, but I think I've opened them in a hex editor and didn't see any human readable output. How about having it boot from AutoNeoGrub{x}.cfg, and putting the path to file in there?

Also, I have Win 7 / Win 10 both with EasyBCD installed, so I have (hd0,2)/NST/ and (hd0,4)/NST/ ... not sure if that's possibly causing problems. Perhaps have EasyBCD search for \NST across all drives and prompt for possible actions if it finds that somewhere else besides the current drive (like use that directory instead, or move that directory to the current drive? Dunno how the other EasyBCD would be updated though...)

Last edited:
Hi, I already have a Win10/Ubuntu dual boot, using grub , have no issues with it,
Have been wanting to re-install a copy of win7 along side both,
I realise I am going to have to reinstall grub but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other issues I may come accross?

Back