Troubles with chkdsk and sfc

FregleyTheWise

Distinguished Member
It's me again. I still haven't got things fixed. I appreciate all of the advice I've gotten, though.

It seems that if I could get sfc and/or chkdsk to work, I might be able to just run system restore. Hopefully, this might solve things.

Anyway, when I run 'sfc /scannow' from command prompt (off the recovery disk) it at first says "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time." After a few seconds, it says "Windows Resource protection could not perform the requested operation." I don't know why that is or if there is an easy solution.

When I run chkdsk, I don't get any messages, the cursor just goes down a line and blinks. I've left it overnight with no change.
Any ideas?

I either use the command prompt option in the recovery disk or run cmd.exe in the system32 folder and run that.

Also, I forgot to mention that when running chkdsk, I sometimes get an error saying the hard drive is write protected or something. I'll get the actual message to you later.

If you run it for the OS partition from inside that OS, it should give you the option to schedule it for execution at the next boot, before the OS grabs control of the hardware.

Chkdsk can only work on partitions that are not running an active OS. If you don't get the option to schedule you are scanning your other system...

OK, never mind. I've finally decided that this is getting ridiculous. I have backed up all of the documents and such, and have decided to do a reinstall. But, once again, I am having troubles. Can nothing related to fixing Windows be easy???????

All right, when I boot off the restore disk, I select my language and keyboard layout and proceed. At the next window, I push 'Start Installation'. I then go to a screen that says "Please Wait," and nothing more happens. I've left it for several hours without leaving that screen. Is this normal????? If not, what can I do to get this over with????

PS-Thanks, everyone, so much for putting up with me this long. I really appreciate all the help.

This disc isn't the one provided on this site, right? The one on this site is only good for repairs and cannot be used for reinstalling Windows.

All right, when I boot off the restore disk, I select my language and keyboard layout and proceed. At the next window, I push 'Start Installation'. I then go to a screen that says "Please Wait," and nothing more happens. I've left it for several hours without leaving that screen. Is this normal????? If not, what can I do to get this over with????

Yeah...like Justin said, the restore disk is just that, an *restore disk*. :wink: Its not for reinstalling Windows.

-Coolname007

No, this is the disk provided by emachines. Incidentally, it seems to function like a regular vista disk, so I can access the commands I can with the recovery disk.

I have now left the computer overnight with no change. I'm getting the ominous feeling that fixing this computer is going to continue to be a huge problem

Do you think this might be caused by the same problem that is preventing chkdsk to work? The commands I am using are 'chkdsk /f', 'chkdsk /r' or 'c:\windows\system32\chkdsk.exe /f'. It says the drive is write-protected, would that prevent installation?

If I enter commands c: then chkdsk /f the computer freezes.

Last edited:
You don't need to use your system copy. The one from the recovery disc should be just fine for the job. Its write protected because its trying to scan X: from what I can see. You need to specify the drive letter along with chkdsk for the partition you want to scan, such as "chkdsk c: /r" or "chkdsk d: /r", etc.

It didn't work. The computer just froze again. Also, emachines tech support has decided that to get help, I will have to pay extra.

Addendum:

If I were to format c: drive from vistape, do you think I would be able to run the installation?

Last edited:
Not recently, it's been malfunctioning for quite a while. I don't know about before it crashed. It only freezes when I run those programs, though, not at random times.

I am okay with erasing any data I need to in order to get the computer to work. I've been able to back up all I need. If I have to format anything, that's fine.

Don't format unless you got a recovery disc from your OEM or a Vista disc for re-install. Otherwise, it might be best here. And what programs again are causing it to crash? Perhaps theres updates for those? Some people will even stick with an older version if need be if its compatible.

We seem to be on different pages. My computer will not boot. Part way through the boot, the screen goes black. I have left it for hours without change. Safe Mode does not work. System Restore requires a scan for disk errors that freezes. I have a OS disk from emachines that I assume acts as a restore disk.

I apologize for not clarifying. I have had 2 threads related to this, and I forgot to link to them. Here they are.

Vista not turning on! Please Help!!!!!!!!! - The NeoSmart Forums

Vista Boot Repair Problems! - The NeoSmart Forums

Sorry for the confusion.

I agree. It seems so stupid that Windows can't even fix itself half the time.

How can I get it to reinstall, though, it just freezes. Any advice?

Back