Ubuntu 7.10 Final

Okay well after many trials and errors i finally got Ubuntu to load up. Now the thing is i am stuck. I want to install it but i dont. Since i have no idea what i am doing with Linux. :grinning:

Well, Ubuntu is a good place to start :smile:

It may not be the perfect Linux distro (and there is no such thing :grinning:), but it's really user friendly and it's quite easy for you to go about your work without ever having to touch the command-line: something quite rare that's missing from most other distros out there.

Using [strike]Linux[/strike] Ubuntu is easier than Windows with respect to a couple of things.

One of the first things you'll want to do is finding and installing new programs. You just open "add/remove programs" and it'll get a list of ALL ubuntu compatible software that can be found online. You check what you want, and hit install. All done! :grinning:
Same thing for removing software too.

You can use that page to install codecs for video clients too.

What do you use your PC for most?

It's really easy to get started (unless your a hard-core gamer :frowning:) - it's just point and click.

Well i do a lot of torrents, movie converting, ISO burning and online with some GFX work. I dont know if Ubuntu is compatable with Photoshop CS3 and Fireworks CS3. I hope so those are the 2 i use most. But now that i got my drives in order and Vista re-installed i want to tri-boot with Vista, Ubuntu and OS X. I have Vista installed but i dont have enough drive to allow OS X its own drive. Can i partiton my 160GB to 80GB each for Ubuntu and OS X? Or do i have to have OS X on its own drive?

If you cant answer that i will understand. :wink:

Well I can't really say anything about OS X, but for Ubuntu:

Not compatible with Photoshop or Fireworks, unfortunately. It has a half-decent imitation called Gimp, and though it's pretty powerful it's a nightmare to use.

ISO Burning: tons of software, some of it even pre-installed. Much higher quality than the commercial software for Windows, though I do love ImgBurn (free, Windows) most.

Torrents: I just found Deluge, and it's like uTorrent on crack, I love it.

Movie converting: from what to what?

Online: Opera, baby! Opera gives you the same browser experience (same rendering, same UI, same clicks, same everything) across all browsers, unlike crappy old firefox that is a MUCH better browser on Windows than on Linux (unfortunately).

Well i still have Windows for Fireworks and Photoshop. So that isnt that big of a deal. At least i know that i can still download with torrents and burn them.

I usually use convertxtodvd for my conversions. Either that or Nero Vision. I dont think either of them are compatable. But if not like i stated for PS and that i still have Windows.

Yeah i cant wait to install this and get Opera Beta working in Linux. I will jsut go thru trial and error to see if i can do the whole partition thing. I know that OS X wants it own. But maybe i can get away with it.

Yeah just did. A qucik question on this Linux install.

Okay i am within the Ubuntu Live CD right now. I am looking at the install stuff.

I have a drive titled "untitled" which is my 160GB. But when i try to do the install i dont know what drive it is. The "untitled" drive is hd0,0 right now. But i am gonna partition it.

Words of wisdom?

Do you have a drive that is 160 GB and doesn't have partitions?

My recommendation is to partition before you install, with Acronis (my fav!) or GParted.

Create the Linux partition in the partition manager as ReiserFS (better than extfs). Then boot up the Ubuntu setup disc and install to the only ReiserFS partition :smile:

Well i used GParted since i finally figured out how to get that to boot without getting the same GFX errors that i was getting with Ubuntu.

So i created my 2 partitions. I used the ReiserFS for the Linux partition. I just haev to go thru and get it installed now. Right now i have OS X trying to install. See how that goes. After that i will get Ubuntu going.

Well with Ubuntu i used the Safe GFX Mode. That is what has allowed me to get the LiveCD to work with the nVidia Bug that you found previously. I tried the Ctrl+Alt+BKSPCE but that did nothing. The Safe GFX Mode is what worked.

As for GParted there was a option for older style or classic style. Not sure off hand as i just aw it and clicked it real quick and it loaded. :grinning:

I will boot to it again and double check that option jsut to find out what it was.

Addendum:

I jsut thought of something. Is SWAP necessary. I have 3GB of DDR2 RAM in Dual Channel. I never set up a SWAP. Will that affect me at all?

Last edited:
Nope.

I'd never set up swap before (2GB memory here), and this time I did - no performance benefit.

Yeah i notice that it is nice. I am within Ubuntu right now. Installed version.

Jsut need to figure out how to get my Dual Monitors to work. Samsung doesnt have drivers for the 930BF that i use on my DVI port and since this is my first time within Linux i dont know how in the heck to get this workign right.

Advice??

nVidia 6800

I tried to switch some settings so that my DVI Monitor the LCD is the Default. But upon log out the X Server crashed and now Ubuntu wont restart.

Already i am starting to hate Linux...

In the Admin>Screen resolution area. Or was that System. I remember taking off the Default monitor (My CRT) and disabling it and then putting my 2nd monitor as default (The LCD) and applying the settings. It said i had to log off to make the changes take effect. So upon logging off the system wont boot no more.

I get the XServer didnt load and basically it sits at a blinking prompt. I did install the nVidia drivers that were part of the updates when i first got it booted.

I am thinking of just reinstalling it again. Maybe using the whole 160GB since i cant figure out how to make OS X isntall.

Back