Ubuntu Questions

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Alright now that i have gotten into Ubuntu i do have some final questions.

1.) I figured out how to get the GUI for the nVidia settings and get my dual monitor setup. But how do i get my LCD to be the primary monitor and not have it twinview it across both monitors? I really hate havign to scan 2 monitors to read a post.>.<

2.) how can i configure my Razer DiamondBack mouse? I have found some xorg.conf instructions but only problem is that when i try to edit that file i dont have permissions even though i have added myself to teh Root group. Last time i tried doing this from the root account after enabling it for login, Ubuntu was no longer usable. It could be combined with the fact that i also edited my monitor setup to try and fix problem #1 at the same time.:grinning:

Either way i had to re-isntall Ubuntu cause it was trashes. All this after i had tried to change my origianl isntalls account folder to the root directory. Which cause the Install not to be usable since it couldnt find my home folder anymore.

The monitor thing i did figure out before i just really dont remember how i did it. I am sure that i can get it working again easily it is the mouse that i need most. I use the forward and back buttons on there constantly and not having them is really putting a damper on me. It has almost made me give up Ubuntu.:frowning:

Well solved my monitor issue. Not sure how exactly but it is working so i wont ask. Now the Mouse thing. That is a great app but everytime i hit back it brings up the context menu.

Not sure how to set this up exactly. So i took a screenshot. If you could give me some more advice it would be appreciated.

862369.png

You press "Detect Mouse and Buttons" and the proceed with the wizard to identify all the installed keys on your mouse.

Then you can configure each key that was detected.

Right which i have done. But like i said when i hit the back button which as shown has the Key_LeftAlt and Key_left attribute goes back but at the same time opens up the context menu. Which i dont understand why. If that is just Alt and left it should just go back so why does it bring up the menu?

Sorry to interrupt, I was just wondering will that "slow internet/no internet/adapter-setting" problem be fixed on Gutsy any time sooner?

Sorry to interrupt, I was just wondering will that "slow internet/no internet/adapter-setting" problem be fixed on Gutsy any time sooner?

"fixed" as in with an update, no.
"fixed" as in resolved by hacking files and settings yourself: it should already be.

Right which i have done. But like i said when i hit the back button which as shown has the Key_LeftAlt and Key_left attribute goes back but at the same time opens up the context menu. Which i dont understand why. If that is just Alt and left it should just go back so why does it bring up the menu?

I just tried assigning a key combo to one of mine, and I get a context menu for one but not the other...

(I have a forward and back keys on the MX... The Forward works fine, but Back brings up a context menu)

Hmmmmm. :angry:

"fixed" as in with an update, no.
"fixed" as in resolved by hacking files and settings yourself: it should already be.

I just tried assigning a key combo to one of mine, and I get a context menu for one but not the other...

(I have a forward and back keys on the MX... The Forward works fine, but Back brings up a context menu)

Hmmmmm. :angry:
That is wxactly what i get. So at least it isnt just me that is having this issue. Till something can be figure out i stopped that for now. Not happy that the 9 buttons i have on my mouse are useless but i can live.:tongueout:

It is a great mouse. 1600 DPI with touch sensativity. I got this as a replacement for my Logitech MX518 Gaming mouse. I must say this one is much better. It feels great while in use. It is super sensative for great accuracy. While gaming, doing GFX or just surfing the web. The buttons are convienetly located and easy to use. I seriuosly recommend these as a new mouse. Logitech makes great mice but Razer is even better. The price is great and the product stand out even more. :wink:

Well i finally got this mouse thign figured out. I modified the xorg.conf file. Which is a pain. But now the buttons are reversed of the way i like them. But at elast they work now. :grinning:

PS Sorry for bumping this topic.

lol, don't worry about that!

That's how I made my MX Recovultion work the first time around, but to be honest with you, I don't use any of the extra buttons besides the thumb-scroll which I've set to raise and lower the volume.

Forward and Back, I do with the keyboard. Search I don't bother with shortcuts for. Horizontal scrolling.... who the hell really needs it?

Well i have a control for my Volume. So that isnt a issue. I just use the forward and back on my mouse cause it is easier for me. I usually have 1 hadn on the mouse while surfing and 1 on the keyboard which makes the keyboard shortcut tough for me. Maybe it is cause i am not used to using it yet. But i use the keyboard for many Windows based shortcuts. Copy, paste, desktop and things like that. :tongueout:

Alright i got another question.

I loaded Deluge for my Torrents. Yet after a restart i click it to load it up and it does nothing. I went into the Synaptic Package Manager and reloaded the application and still nothing.

Whats up? Any ideas? Should i remove it restart then re-isntall?

When you want to debug a program that won't start or crashes inexplicably, load it from the command prompt.

So start a terminal/console, and type `deluge` in there, and monitor the output.

Okay so now what? I see a bunch of stuff in there. But nothing that makes any sense.

Code:
Starting new Deluge session...
deluge_core; using libtorrent 0.13.0.0. Compiled with NDEBUG.
Applying preferences
Capping download to -1 bytes per second
Capping upload to -1 bytes per second
Raising error: libtorrent reports this is a duplicate torrent
Error: 'libtorrent reports this is a duplicate torrent'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 140, in <module>
    start_deluge()
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 127, in start_deluge
    interface = deluge.interface.DelugeGTK()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/interface.py", line 53, in __init__
    '%s %s'%(common.PROGRAM_NAME, common.PROGRAM_VERSION), common.CONFIG_DIR)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/core.py", line 263, in __init__
    self.sync(True)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/core.py", line 837, in sync
    raise e
deluge.core.DuplicateTorrentError: 'libtorrent reports this is a duplicate torrent'

That is what the Terminal shows. What could be wrong??

Sounds like a bug: you have the same torrent being loaded twice, and deluge doesn't know what to do.

Solution: go to the Deluge settings folder and check the configuration files and remove any duplicates. I think the path to the configuration file is /your/home/folder/.config/Deluge or something like that.

Back