Ubuntu Questions

Good luck with that.
equimen: don't try the dist-upgrade thing, it'll fry your Compiz configuration which was completely redone between 7.04 and 7.10.

Thread moved and title updated to reflect content.

well you wont believe me, but.............................IT FREAKING WORKS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just had to enable one driver :tongueout:
It is called "Firmware", the one I had mentined before haha
I actually had to go to Circuit City to fix it haha
ok now my last thing that i have to ask you guys: My poblem is that Ubuntu takes from 5 to 10 minuto to boot, it is unbelievable, it takess waaaaaaaayyyy too long
anybody know how to fix this?
o I forgot something, Im trying to configure Thunderird, but I cant get it to work , do you guys have any idea of whatg to do?(it sys connecting to hotmail.com, but nothing happens, to confirm that it is not working, I can tell because it doesnt even prompt me for the passowrd haha
thank youuu

Last edited:
No, that's how Ubuntu is (at least on older machines). Dy default Ubuntu doesn't show what it's doing (it uses a pretty boot screen) unless a single action takes too long - do you have any idea what it is that slows the boot process down?

(For instance, it could be when it's startings CUPS or when it's attempting to contact an Internet Time Server)

Do you have POP3 access enabled on your Hotmail account? (Do you have a premium hotmail account?)

You can only access POP3 from hotmail for premium accounts. Unless you use Windows Live Mail from within Widnows. They used to allow POP3 access for free accounts back in the beginning but now they dont.

You purchase it through the link in the email interface (options section i think).

I believe it is (was?) something like 20 dollars a year.

Yes that is correct. It is just under $20 USD a year. Really it isnt worth it. Just check your hotmail account via the web interface. Saves you the money.

It depends on what one needs. I use GMail, which is free and has unlimited POP3 and IMAP access.

True. I use GMail as well. I have 2 of my hotmail accounts that i used to use heavily before GMail forwarded to my Gmail cause they are still used by some old friends. They just dont get the fact i have a new email address. :lol:

That is a alternative. Sign up for a GMail account and forward your hotmail to it. But for what the HotmailPremium offers it isnt really worth the money. You can get GMail for free and get almost all of those services as well.

ok thank you all, I have one more thing to solve, I want to install Steam (to play CS 1.6), I installed Wine, and followed the instructions, but whenever I click the steam.exe a windows pops and it says that steam is being updated; at about 26% an error occurs and I cant update steam
any other ways I can use Steam?

Not all (in fact, very few) programs are guaranteed to work under Wine on Linux. Not really much you can do about that.

Wine Application DB - Wine Application Database

According to the Wine list Steam is supported.

Wine Application DB - Viewing App: Steam All Versions

You will have to follow the instructions there to get it working. But beware:

What does not

Buying games with paypal
Correct cursor positioning
Popups in the community or store

Steam Friends with the following problems:
Sending / Receiving messages, you can rarely see either action
Statuses do not update in Steam Friends
If you log out of Steam Friends while in the window, it doesn't appear you're logged out until exiting the window and reopening it
Voice chat because you can't see the invite in the first place, you hear ringing for the invite but don't see it and the only way to make it stop is to log out of steam as far as I've seen.

So while it may work you cant fully use it.

I now have a problem (well not exactly a problem ) with the Kiba-Dock, What happens is that when I open a window, the bar disappears but the icons don't , how do I fix that?
thanks

I haven't a clue - sounds like a bug/issue with that program more than with Linux... Perhaps you should check its documentation or website?

ok, one more question (ok maybe not.....):lol:
When I save a file with OpenOffice in .doc format so that my dads XP can read it, he cant see the file, what the hell is going on?

XP with MS Office or OpenOffice should see it.

Your dad's XP can't see the file, or nothing when he opens it?

Which Office your dad has installed? (although, it shouldn't matter)

Have you transfered the file or put it in a shared folder so that it can be viewed by all PC on the network?

Back