unhandled exception has occurred in your application

redboy33

Ok, I'm at the point where I'm getting scared. I told a friend I would install xp on his newly purchased Toshiba Satellite. It came with Vista Home Premium. I used the built in shrink feature to shrink the original partition and created a 70GB ntfs partition for xp. The xp install was easy and the first time I ran EasyBCD and rebooted everything LOOKED ok, but I was unable to boot into Vista (it showed up as a choice) booting into XP "was" fine until I tried to use EasyBCD (1.7.2) again.

The next time I rebooted I couldn't get into Either OS?? :??

I was able to copy boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr from C: (Vista) to D: (XP) and I can now get back into XP.

Now everytime I run EasyBCD and try to use the save button or add an entry (or basically anything) I get the following error.

easybcd.jpg

here is the Detail info:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and count must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter name: count
at System.String.Remove(Int32 startIndex, Int32 count)
at ..(String , String )
at ..(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EasyBCD
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.60
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.60
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program Files/NeoSmart Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSI....0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSI...0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSI..._b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
{b46f29ad-5828-4f54-a1a0-2e104e87edb1}
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSI....0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
NeoSmart.UpdateChecker
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Interop.Microsoft.Feeds.Interop
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Please HELP. I've also tried a Beta Build 60 with the same exact results.

It seems to delete the boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr from the D: partition and move them to the C: OR maybe it just keeps them on C? whatever the case I cannot boot into XP without the boot files on C:?

Thanks in advance,

Redboy33

Ok, I'm at the point where I'm getting scared. I told a friend I would install xp on his newly purchased Toshiba Satellite. It came with Vista Home Premium. I used the built in shrink feature to shrink the original partition and created a 70GB ntfs partition for xp. The xp install was easy and the first time I ran EasyBCD and rebooted everything LOOKED ok, but I was unable to boot into Vista (it showed up as a choice) booting into XP "was" fine until I tried to use EasyBCD (1.7.2) again.
Hello redboy, welcome to NST.
It sounds like you probably used the Manage Bootloader | Reinstall the Vista bootloader (selected) | Write MBR feature of EasyBCD. So what happened is your XP MBR was replaced with a Vista one, and that is why you now have a choice to boot into either Vista or XP. Since at that point you were able to boot into XP, but not Vista, your boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com were obviously in the right place. What exactly did you do after that to screw up your XP boot?
The next time I rebooted I couldn't get into Either OS?? :??

I was able to copy boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr from C: (Vista) to D: (XP) and I can now get back into XP.
Go into Folder Options in the Control Panel, and select to Unhide Protected System Files, and Show Hidden Files and Folders. Next, look inside your XP partition's root, and check to see if you have the "bootmgr" file and "boot" folder in the root. If not, or if the boot files are corrupted, you will need to run Startup Repair from the Vista DVD (or our recovery disk) 2-3 times to fix the issue. Did you use the Uninstall the Vista bootloader feature after that? If so, then you will have the XP MBR again, and you will definitely need to run Startup Repair.
It seems to delete the boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr from the D: partition and move them to the C: OR maybe it just keeps them on C? whatever the case I cannot boot into XP without the boot files on C:?
I thought you said the boot files were copied into D (XP's partition), and after that is when XP booted?
Anyway, regardless, please post a screenshot of Disk Management from XP, so we can get a better picture of your situation.

Jake

Last edited:
Please do EasyBCD | Useful Utilities | Power Console
Type
Code:
bcdedit.exe

and paste the output here in a reply.

And if you're unable to get to the Power Console in EasyBCD, open up the Command Prompt (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt), and run bcdedit.exe using the following commands:

Code:
cd \
cd \Programs Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin
bcdedit.exe

Cool, power console is command prompt. It gets its name cause Easy is parent proccess already granted admin access and can run it without requiring permission from the user.

Cool, power console is command prompt. It gets its name cause Easy is parent proccess already granted admin access and can run it without requiring permission from the user.

I am aware of that. I just didn't realize, I guess, that it might require admin privliges, but that can be easily solved by simply right-clicking on the Command Prompt, and hitting "Run as administrator"...
The whole point I suggested using the Command Prompt is in case he wasn't able to get to the Power Console. I noticed when he tried to do a couple of other things, such as use the save button or add an entry, he got that error message.

That would be where he said...
Now everytime I run EasyBCD and try to use the save button or add an entry (or basically anything) I get the following error.

I understand. Its just that he hasn't reported having a problem with that feature. Since it doesnt have anything to do with manipulating bcd I doubt it would crash...

Well, I didn't know if he would have that trouble with that feature or not. I was just being cautious...:wink: I was offering an alternative solution in case he was unable to use the Power Console. I never said he couldn't. I was merely making sure if he couldn't, he could still run that command Guru mentioned, and post its output.

Back