Unmountable Boot Volume

cdlm

Ok well first when I turn my computer on I get Unmountable boot volume. So then I booted from the Windows XP disc and went to recovery console. There I read that I had to type chkdsk /r, then chkdsk /p, the fixboot. When I type fixboot it says FIXBOOT cannot find the system drive, or the drive specified is not valid. How can I fix that?

Have you tried to fix your Master Boot Record?

If not goto recovery console and type:
"FIXMBR" (Without quotes)
And answer yes to the question asked, THEN peform:
CHKDSK as you did before, Im not sure about the switches off by heart, but i think theres a surface scan mode, use that, and make sure you tell it to scan drive C: (Assume your partition is C:smile:

ok i did that and it worked. but now it says ntldr is missing press any key to restart and i push it and it restates the message. what now?

This is a file needed to start windows NT systems, you have your windows XP disk, so your in luck:

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

(Where D: is enter your CD-ROM drive letter, Normally D:, To find out what drive letter to use, Go through them one at a time, then enter:
DIR
and look for the i386 folder, this is the drive to use to copy the files from)
7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Second possiblity:

Your boot.ini is no longer pointing to the correct partition

This is less likely but easier to fix...
Boot into the same place you ran "fixboot" from last time
Enter this command
Code:
bootcfg
and use that to pick the right partitions to add.

Anyway, between XcOM's excellent advice and this tidbit of info, you should be good to go. Let us know what happens, we're here to help.

you could search google for the files, or ask someone to borrow there XP disk, or if you find someone with the same OS as you are trying to fix (Home or Pro)

and copy the files, Use NERO to create a bootable CD-ROM

Back