Using iReboot.

Hi everyone! My name is Gary Price from Bolton in the United Kingdom.

Please could someone help me out.
Today I've installed Windows7 Ultimate onto my desktop so I've got a dual boot system, running Windows8.1 as well.

Please could someone tell me does your computer have to be quite moddern to use iReboot?
See I'm trying to use this in order to quickly reboot into either operating system, but when I try and do it, all I get when I right click the iReboot icon and select the operating system is Unknown and nothing at all happens!

I should say at this point, that I am totally blind so I use speech on my computer, mainly the free NVDA (Non visual desktop access) screen-reader.
I also mainly use the keyboard for all tasks.

But here's the strange thing though, if I check the option in iReboot which says "Reboot on selection", it works fine and boots up into the operating system of choice!

Thanks very much, any replies welcome!

Hello Gary! Welcome to our forums!

iReboot does not have much in terms of requirements. Are you able to provide a screenshot of the iReboot menu? I am concerned that perhaps iReboot is listing everything OK but it is breaking the compatibility with the screen readers, so your NVDA reads "UNKNOWN" when it should read "Windows xxx" or similar.

Hi everyone! My name is Gary Price from Bolton in the United Kingdom.

Please could someone help me out.
Today I've installed Windows7 Ultimate onto my desktop so I've got a dual boot system, running Windows8.1 as well.

Please could someone tell me does your computer have to be quite moddern to use iReboot?
See I'm trying to use this in order to quickly reboot into either operating system, but when I try and do it, all I get when I right click the iReboot icon and select the operating system is Unknown and nothing at all happens!

I should say at this point, that I am totally blind so I use speech on my computer, mainly the free NVDA (Non visual desktop access) screen-reader.
I also mainly use the keyboard for all tasks.

But here's the strange thing though, if I check the option in iReboot which says "Reboot on selection", it works fine and boots up into the operating system of choice!

Thanks very much, any replies welcome!
Hi Mdqusi.

Well I've had to uninstall iReboot for now and go back to a previous Windows, as for some reason Windows7 and Windows8.1 were both showing up as Windows7!

But sorry, I should have been more clear.
When I had iReboot, I pressed Enter on the iReboot icon, it said Windows8.1 checked, followed by Windows7.
But when I pressed Enter to actually boot up into either operating system from the menu, this is when NVDA said Unknown.

Unfortunately because I'm blind, I've never done screenshots.
So I'm sorry, but I can't provide this.

Anyway might re-install it again, but not sure.

I have even tried it with the basic screen-reader in Windows, Narrator and even then it still did what I stated.

Anyway thanks for your response.

Hello Gary,

I'm not certain there is a bug in the behavior aside from the screen reading output. If the "reboot on selection" menu item is not checked, the action of selecting an OS does not trigger a reboot and will result in no visible change to the system; however on next reboot, the PC will start up in the OS corresponding to the entry that was checked. The text of the selected menu entry does not change, so I'm not sure why NVDA is giving "unknown" instead of the same text it said before (the only difference is that a checkmark is applied to the menu item), but I will try to look into it. If as you say it is reproducible with Narrator, that should be easy enough to experiment with as soon I get a chance.

Thanks for the bug report, it is much appreciated. We have previously put in significant work into EasyBCD to make it compatible with screen readers and take accessibility very seriously.

Cheers!

Gary,
don't mean to butt in on mqudsi's reply, and wouldn't be any help with iReboot anyway, but I did used to work alongside a blind colleague in IT support for IBM, so can appreciate some of your difficulty.
You stated that you couldn't supply screenshots.
A simple method you might be able to use, needing very little screen interaction, would be to hit the PrtSc key (saves the full screen image to the clipboard), open Paint or any other image processor, paste the clipboard contents, save the image to your desktop (or anywhere convenient), and then upload the image to your post using the Upload a File button located next to the Post Reply button below the post input window.

Back