Vista bootmgr missing

kuzma

I have been having a problem with windows booting up it would just go to a black screen and stay there forever. I was able to boot up in safe mode so I did and I removed all of my files. I put in the windows recovery cd and tried using the repair start up option and it didn't fix the problem. So I tried the recovery option and it didn't work either. So my next step I formatted the partitions and reinstalled window from the cd and not I receive the "bootmgr is missing" press ctl alt del to restart error everytime I try to start the computer. I have been to many website including this one and completed all of the steps at the command prompt and I am still having the same issue. The only command that I could not get to work was bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force any ideas ?? Please help.

If you have a freshly installed Vista (and the install completed properly) and it will not boot with "boot manager missing", check your BIOS boot settings to make sure your PC has the Vista HDD as the first HDD in the boot sequence.

Yes I have tried a system restore before I formatted the partitions back to the farthest on I had and it did not work.

Addendum

Yes I have checked the BIOS and set the hard drive to boot first and I still receive this message.

Addendum

Sorry the install went through without a problem also. any other ideas that may help?

You might have HDD set to boot before CD etc. but do you have multiple HDDs ?
If so, dig deeper in the boot sequence to set the relative positions of the HDDs so that the OS one is top.

boot sequencs

2013-03-13 20.46.22.jpg2013-03-13 20.46.40.jpgThis is what my boot sequence looks like. I have also ran a check disk in dos and it checked out everything good.

Last edited:
How did you reinstall Vista ?
Do you have a MS Installation DVD, or recovery media provided by the PC OEM ?
Are you sure that the Installation completed properly, because it sounds as if it failed part way through.
If you are installing Vista from a MS retail DVD, you must have the BIOS set to boot from CD before HDD.
If not, the install will get part way through, and then at its first reboot (it needs to reboot several times during an install) it will try to reboot from the incomplete HDD and fail.
It needs to reboot from the CD to continue, hence that must be above HDD in the boot sequence.
You should see a message "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" as the installation starts, and you should do as it says.
You will then see the same message several more times during the install, and you must not hit a key on these interim boots.
Hitting a key starts the whole install again from the beginning.
The message is poorly phrased. The CD is already booting when you see it, and it really means "Do you wish me to start an installation from this CD, if so press any key"

Back