Vista HnS after Vista SP1

Basically, I've been using code from the Grub4Dos project manually modified to add HnS features.

By stupid coincidence, the same time I added the latest batch of features I also updated the core Grub4Dos code - it turns out the problem was in the Grub4Dos code and not in my own.

So now it is just a matter of finding the version of the clean Grub4Dos code that doesn't give the cmain() error.

I've attached another grldr build to this post, can you please tell me if it gives you a cmain error?

(Same steps as before)

If grldr_4.4 doesn't give the cmain() then we're golden.
Otherwise, can you test grldr_53 and see if maybe that one won't give you the cmain() error?

Attachments

• grldr_53.zip
    98.4 KB · Views: 4
  • grldr_4.4.zip
    99.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Saph, that's basically the same as I had, but the fact that you can do it over and over without anything more than the inconvenience, would seem to suggest that the additional problems I had with badly formatted disks, corrupted data and the need to do a 6 hour chkdsk were coincidental.
I have a suspicion that Vista was kindly doing one of its silent unseen defrags as I ran build 45, and something got screwed up. (When I looked through incident logs after repairing the system, the last reported error was in defrag, though I don't know absolutely that the two were connected)
CG - glad to know that you are finally seeing the wood through the trees (if you understand the backward metaphor)

CG - neither of those worked. It sounds like you're on the right track, I know you'll hit it!

Terry - yeah, when I saw the chkdsk, i wondered if you had to do that everytime! I've gone through my own bouts with that - I had alot of trouble when I first got my computer, had to use that more than once. I finally got sick of it and reloaded the OS and put all the software back one by one and now little to no trouble except when I sometimes use a new program that still has bugs with Vista.

Can you confirm they give you a cmain() error when used with the old build that you have (anything before build 45)?

Thanks, Saphire.

That probably explains why you had problems with bootmgr earlier, there should be a copy of GRLDR in that build.

Hold on a minute, I think I might have an explanation as to what's going wrong.

OK - i found it - it is in the folder marked DATA, which also contains NTLDR and NTDETECT. But on the later builds GRLDR is its own file, with another one inside the DATA folder. Could that be it cuz there's two of them in the later builds?

Oops. You're supposed to replace the one in the Data folder. The one standing on its lonesome isn't even used and shouldn't have been there!

Can you re-do the previous GRLDR tests after replacing the one in the data folder?

Addendum:

Basically, start with GRLDR in post #55, and see if that fixes the problem.

If not,
Check GRLDR from post #57and see if it does give you cmain() error.

If it DOESn't give you cmain(), check if the build in #59 does.

This time, replace the GRLDR in the Data/ folder.

Last edited:
sorry about that! If one of these GRLDR's works I'm gonna feel bad about you pulling your hair out trying to come up with GRLDR after GRLDR! The thing is when I installed the new build, I saw right away that there was an addition of the GRLDR by itself, so I assumed that that was the one that would be the problem.

Now just a quick question - should I delete the extra GRLDR or doesn't matter when I'm trying the other GRLDRs in the DATA folder?

It doesn't matter.

Once upon a time I meant to update the GRLDR in the DATA folder, and instead pasted it in the root.

Don't worry about it - mistakes happen all the time and I've made way more than my fair share with HnS. Thanks for sticking around to help :smile:

You're welcome.

OK, I tried post #55 GRLDR. This worked as far as getting rid of the Cmain issue. However, I could not boot into either system as the command [find --unhide /Vista.C.HnS] could not be done. Received error 15, file could not be found. The file is there, in the boot drive. Then I tried to go into XP instead, received same error (except was for hide the XP HnS file in G). This file is also there. Had to use Vista disk to recover.

Thanks, mate :smile:

I'll get to work tracking down the remaining problems now, they shouldn't be too difficult.

Addendum:

OK, clean install of Windows XP and 2 Windows Vista on two different drives.
Installed Build 47, replaced Data/GRLDR with GRLDR from post #55.

Everything worked fine for me. :frowning:

Can you post the menu.lst and the log as generated by build 47 w/ the GRLDR replaced?

Also, when you reboot and get the Vista HNS boot menu, can you press 'c' to enter a commandline window, then type in :
Code:
find /bootmgr
see what that returns
and
Code:
find /xp.g.hns
and see what that returns as well?

Thanks.

Addendum:

An idea just occurred to me: If you're using anything other than the GRLDR from post 55 (i.e. any posts thereafter or from before build 47) you'll get an error 15.

It sounds like you're maybe using GRLDR from the old build that you have? Make sure when you uninstall the old HnS that BOOTMGR is NOT ~183kb, it should be a lot larger (400kb or so).

When you've installed replaced GRLDR then installed HNS using build 47, you should have C:\Bootmgr that is 188168 BYTES long and was modified on June 20, 2008 at HH:29:20

Last edited:
ok, here's the files while I am doing the other things.

Regarding the bootmgr, I am making sure not to use the GRLDR from the old build. I have them set up in 2 different places so I won't make that error. When I uninstall HnS to test a different build, I uninstall and then check all the HnS files are gone, the boot.ini is back and the bootmgr (especially) is back to 386 KB, since this is the vista boot. I'll doublecheck the bootmgr specifics (as you gave them) after reinstalling/replacing, etc the GRLDR.

Attachments

• menu.zip
    374 bytes · Views: 1
  • Vista HnS - Copy.zip
    486 bytes · Views: 2
Thanks.

Please check all drives for BOOTMGR and ensure it's the latest - not just drive C:\
Depending on your configuration, HnS may create more than one copy.

OK, after all I said about being careful not to use the old build of HnS - well, I was not obviously as careful with the GRLDR! I doublechecked the file and somehow I had replaced it with the OLD one. Cripes. So I carefully marked each step as I did it.

1. Re-downloaded GRLDR from post 55.
2. Verified that it was the one from post 55.
3. Opened the DATA folder of build 47.
4. Deleted GRLDR.
5. Moved GRLDR from post 55 tp DATA folder.
6. Verified it was the same one.
7. Ran HnS.
8. Verified that bootmgr was now exactly what you said in your post - 188168 BYTES long and was modified on June 20, 2008 at HH:29:20 (i'm hoping that HH is really 4, as all the rest is correct):smile: On drives C and G.
9. Copied boot.ini from G to C.
10. rebooted.
11. got Cmain...

So the disappearance of Cmain was due, as you said, to me having used the old build GRLDR.

Here are the menu list and log from that, as the one I sent is from the use of the OLD GRLDR.
Should I now do the exact same thing with each succeeding GRLDR that you posted?

Attachments

• menu.zip
    375 bytes · Views: 0
  • Vista HnS - Copy.zip
    491 bytes · Views: 1
>.<

OK, can you follow these steps as I posted earlier, but be sure to use the current GRLDR this time?

Basically, start with GRLDR in post #55, and see if that fixes the problem.

If not,
Check GRLDR from post #57and see if it does give you cmain() error.

If it DOESn't give you cmain(), check if the build in #59 does.

This time, replace the GRLDR in the Data/ folder.

OK CG, I'm back on track. Here is an update before I go onto GRLDR from post #59.

HnS build 47. GRLDR from post #55. Returns Cmain error. Confirmed. I ran it twice, verifying all files as I went.

HnS build 47. GRLDR from post #57. Returns error 15. Cannot find Vista.C.HNS. Ran "c". Command [find /bootmgr] returned (hd0,2) (hd0,3). Command [find XP.G.HNS] returned (hd0,3). Confirmed. Ran it twice, verifying all files.

Now going to post #59.

Addendum:

HnS build 47. GRLDR from post #59. Returns Cmain error. Confirmed and run twice.

Last edited:
Last two GRLDRs tested. From post # 62.

GRLDR 4.4 returned Cmain error.

GRLDR 53 returned error 15 on the Vista.C.hns file.

So to recap, the GRLDRs from post 62 (grldr 53) and the one from post 57 do not return the Cmain error, but do have error 15.

I hope that this helps. Again sorry for yesterday as I worked a double and was tired and consequently should have been more careful with what I was doing.

Saphire

Back